Out in the Boondocks - A Camping Topic

Out in the Boondocks - A Camping Topic

Postby Uncle Milty » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:29 am

DIdn't want to keep flooding the vacation thread.

Grew up camping - Pop always claimed it was cheaper to take us camping for the weekend instead of staying home. Started out with a lot near Camelback that dad later built a cabin on and then sold shortly after. Transitioned to series of travel trailers where we spent innumerable weekends at Promised Land State Park and every family vacation until I was 12. From there, with both brothers out of the house, we used a homemade conversion van until I started tent camping on my own.
Drunk and stupid is no way to be remembered but it is an easy way to forget.

But I took them away from all that. Now they work for me.
Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Re: Out in the Boondocks - A Camping Topic

Postby Uncle Milty » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am

That brings me to present day and trying to identify the right setup for my trip discussed in the vacation thread.

I know I want the mobility of a second vehicle so I can leave the dog when necessary while I see the sights. I know I don't want a pop-up or hybrid. I'd also like to boondock (free camping) as much as possible, which might mean accessing more remote places.

The other consideration is buying something future proof. Probably just me and the dog on this trip. In the future I might need something with 3 individual beds. With a permanent move on the horizon the right setup might provide a vehicle to complete it with or a residence until I settle in the new location.

The options I see right now are:

Small ultra-lite trailer I can pull with my Escape. Needs to be under 3000 lbs to allow for gear within my 3500 lb towing capacity. On top of the trailer about $500 in cost to properly set up the Escape. Pro: Probably the cheapest option. Con: To me these trailers do not represent a great value. Not useful for potential future needs.

Upgraded tow vehicle and a trailer of more ordinary weight. Pros: Greater availability and options in a trailer. (Might even consider a toy hauler to take the motorcycle along.) Upgraded vehicle helps in moving or trailer might provide future proof option. Cons: Probably the most expensive option.

Motorhome with a tow dolly for the Escape (or trailer for motorcycle?). Pros Most convenient daily setup. Easiest for accessible boondocking. Likely future proof. Cons Greatest risk for a complete financial disaster due to nature of used motorhomes. Not at all helpful for moving.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby thephan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 pm

So this is really a camper thread not be camping thread.

Not equatable to my Osprey, marmot 1P, down bag and self inflating air mattress. Must not forget the locking carabiner and some rope to get the smellables up and out of the campsite.

Or, in your plan, hardside trailer and a sturdy door lock (you still need to use the bear boxes even in the trailer sites)
If you got those mad internet skills like Rudy Giuliani and cannot figure out if something is true, try > clicking here < and typing in the four most relevant words from a post.
thephan
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:06 pm

It's for anything camping related - it only started as a camper thread. Had I started it for my last excursion it would have been about fitting everything on the bike and MacGyvering a truck box into a top case. (Please note the addition of a 3rd brake light!)

AND any self-inflating sleep pad I ever tried was useless.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CalvinBall » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:42 pm

Campers are not camping though
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Uncle Milty » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 pm

let's ask google

camp·ing Dictionary result for camping
/ˈkampiNG/
noun
noun: camping
the activity of spending a vacation living in a camp, tent, or camper.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby swishnicholson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:02 am

Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Monkeyboy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:02 am

All of my camping has been in tents, except for the Phish show on NYE 2000. I stayed in a van for that show.

So I really can't help you, but I will be following along because I would like to take the kids camping in a few years and a camper of some kind might be a better option with them. My in-laws have some kind of camper and I'm secretly hoping they pass it on to us, but I know they'll give it to their son. If my father-in-law was sitting in your living room, he would talk your ear off about campers. Literally, your ear would fall off.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Phred » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:34 am

Monkeyboy wrote:All of my camping has been in tents, except for the Phish show on NYE 2000. I stayed in a van for that show.

So I really can't help you, but I will be following along because I would like to take the kids camping in a few years and a camper of some kind might be a better option with them. My in-laws have some kind of camper and I'm secretly hoping they pass it on to us, but I know they'll give it to their son. If my father-in-law was sitting in your living room, he would talk your ear off about campers. Literally, your ear would fall off.

Was it down by the river?
Phred
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Monkeyboy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 am

Phred wrote:
Monkeyboy wrote:All of my camping has been in tents, except for the Phish show on NYE 2000. I stayed in a van for that show.

Was it down by the river?

No, but the show was in the Everglades area.
Agnostic dyslexic insomniacs lay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.
Monkeyboy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MrsVox » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:46 am

I also spent most of my weekends in campers of various types growing up. Advice I have gleaned from my parents' experiences in the recent past would be to steer away from a motorhome, unless you have money to burn, and/or are willing to park it in one spot for great lengths of time.

I'll try to make the story brief, just providing an anecdote of what can go wrong. My parents bought a motorhome in the late 90's, probably around the time Vox and I got engaged. They were in their late 50's. They used it for camping with their friends (see above, how I spent my childhood weekends). My dad then got packaged into early retirement, they decide they'll sell their house and travel the country. Then, gas prices skyrocket. They can't afford the gas and tolls to travel. Repairs weren't necessarily an issue, my dad is an old gear-head and fix nearly anything with an engine or will die trying. But parts were costly.

So they end spending the next X years, shuttling between Maine, where they had friends living and camped along the Kennebec (which, mind you, was awesome, i visited once). Some summers later were PA, probably nears the Poconos. I remember taking our oldest there once or twice, and he was a toddler, so 2003-ish. I think they camped in Florida in the winter. Eventually, they sold the motorhome at a loss (which everyone was doing).

I also remember, and forgive my lack of technical term here, but only certain cars with certain transmission types (not automatic v. manual, something else) can be towed directly behind a motorhome.

I'd probably try to option 1 or 2. There are lots of ways to get a motorcycle/truck/camper going, I think my dad has tried every single one of them -- bike on the back of the camper, bike inside the camper, bike inside the van/truck pulling the camper.
MrsVox
Site Admin

Postby Uncle Milty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:53 am

Appreciate the input. A motorhome probably moved to the bottom of the list. It might be different working with a larger budget where I was considering premium diesel models.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Uncle Milty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:05 am

I think a camper is the right option for extended trips or if it becomes a frequent thing.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby azrider » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:46 pm

MrsVox wrote:
I also remember, and forgive my lack of technical term here, but only certain cars with certain transmission types (not automatic v. manual, something else) can be towed directly behind a motorhome.

I think it has something to do with the differential, whether it's locked, limited or open.
azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Uncle Milty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:55 pm

I always understood transmission lubrication as the big item. Even some manuals require the pump running to lubricate properly.

Uncle Milty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Bucky » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:56 pm

in my sample size of one, my CR-V (all-wheel drive) owner's manual instructed to disconnect the driver/differential shaft prior to flat towing.
Bucky
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PrattRules » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I went camping before, and it rained all day. Wouldn't recommend.
"Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza
PrattRules
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby azrider » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 am

azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby joboggi » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:55 am

Boondocks

From a Tagalog word (phillipino) bondok, essentially meaning in our vernacular, boondocks.

Second definition

A place far away from me.
joboggi
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby azrider » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:18 pm

combination fan/lantern for the "real" campers that use tents.

https://www.thatdailydeal.com/home.php?id=23516
azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Next

Return to Here We Go Again!