Cars

Cars

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:00 am

Thought it would be a good idea to provide consumer advice here. Anyway, with the current economic panic, I thought it might be a good weekend to go and play real hardball with area car dealers.

The two cars we're considering are the Mazda 5 (a smallish mini-van looking thing) and the Saturn Astra (a Euro-style hatch wagon). Anyone with experience or thoughts about these vehicles?
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Re: Cars

Postby jamiethekiller » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:05 am

no advice on cars. i know a couple of people with mazdas and they're great.

i go out today to try and get a car loan for my charger. i hope i get approved without a crazy rate.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Red Tornado » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:06 am

TenuredVulture wrote:Thought it would be a good idea to provide consumer advice here. Anyway, with the current economic panic, I thought it might be a good weekend to go and play real hardball with area car dealers.

The two cars we're considering are the Mazda 5 (a smallish mini-van looking thing) and the Saturn Astra (a Euro-style hatch wagon). Anyone with experience or thoughts about these vehicles?

Both suck, go foreign
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:06 am

Buy used
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:07 am

The Red Tornado wrote:
TenuredVulture wrote:Thought it would be a good idea to provide consumer advice here. Anyway, with the current economic panic, I thought it might be a good weekend to go and play real hardball with area car dealers.

Both suck, go foreign

Is Japan in America? :lol:
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:09 am

Mazda is 33.6% American (Ford)
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jerseyhoya » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 am

Woody wrote:Mazda is 33.6% American (Ford)

Hopefully for Mazda, that's from the waist down, if you know what I mean.

jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Red Tornado » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:12 am

jerseyhoya wrote:
The Red Tornado wrote:

Both suck, go foreign

Is Japan in America? :lol:

Mazda in the US is mostly run by Ford and uses alot of Ford parts/platforms, etc
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phatj » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:14 am

I believe the Mazda 5, unlike (for instance) the 6, is actually manufactured in Japan.
they were a chick hanging out with her friends at a bar, the Phillies would be the 320 lb chick with a nose wart and a dick - Trent Steele
phatj

Postby lethal » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:18 am

Does Saturn still have the no haggling policy?
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja

Postby VoxOrion » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:18 am

Are you buying outright? If not I've heard anecdotes around the office that dealerships are turning people away more often than not over the past two weeks, and offer high APR for those that do qualify.
“There are no cool kids. Just people who have good self-esteem and people who blame those people for their own bad self-esteem. “
VoxOrion
Site Admin

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

VoxOrion wrote:Are you buying outright? If not I've heard anecdotes around the office that dealerships are turning people away more often than not over the past two weeks, and offer high APR for those that do qualify.

We'd have to finance. If the dealer won't finance us at very favorable terms, we might either go for a bank loan (Decisions made right here in Magnolia!) or just not buy a car. Our credit is rock solid.

And I appreciate Woody's advice, but Mrs. Vulture likes new cars.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby The Red Tornado » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:29 am

what do you need in a car?

list the features you need-

4 doors, trunk space, etc
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby VoxOrion » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:31 am

Let me put this a different way.

HAVEN'T YOU HEARD WE'VE BEEN IN A RECESSION SINCE THE FIRST DAY OF THE DEMOCRATIC DEBATES AND NOW WE'RE ON THE VERGE OF A DEPRESSION.
“There are no cool kids. Just people who have good self-esteem and people who blame those people for their own bad self-esteem. “
VoxOrion
Site Admin

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:33 am

See, this is the thing, we don't really need a car at all. It would be convenient to have a second car, but it's not a need.

The vehicle would be Mrs. Vulture's drive around town car, which would involve groceries, hauling perhaps 3 children and 2 adults around, and periodically used for long out of town overnight car trips that involve more luggage than you'd think three people really need. Highway gas mileage is therefore important, and we don't want to get killed with around town mileage.

Mrs. Vulture is concerned the Saturn would be too small, I think it'd be just right.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby TenuredVulture » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:33 am

VoxOrion wrote:Let me put this a different way.

HAVEN'T YOU HEARD WE'VE BEEN IN A RECESSION SINCE THE FIRST DAY OF THE DEMOCRATIC DEBATES AND NOW WE'RE ON THE VERGE OF A DEPRESSION.

I believe in America. I believe in Hope and Change. I hope I can buy a car with my spare change.
Be Bold!
TenuredVulture

Postby VoxOrion » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:39 am

RICHEST ONE PERCET AND HE'S A TEACHER TOO.
VoxOrion
Site Admin

Postby VFB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:54 am

jerseyhoya wrote:
Woody wrote:Mazda is 33.6% American (Ford)

Hopefully for Mazda, that's from the waist down, if you know what I mean.

:lol: :lol:
VFB
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby ek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm about to get a new car. I'm selling my 02 Mazda Protege to a coworker for 5000.00 and about to purchase an 09 Nissan Altima 2.5SE
ek
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Philly the Kid » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:47 pm

I haven't owned a car since early 96 ...

If I were to get a new one now? If money and fuel consumption was no object, purely on design, I like those convertible thunderbirds with the semi-retro look. I've always like Alfa Romeo.

If practical was in play, Mazda 3's I've rented a few an dated a woman wh ohad one, and it was easy to drive, had a little pep.

I really don't like the look of many cars and many start to blur together ...

I like good vision, nice handling, a little pep off the line... comfortable seat and control panel...
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Next

Return to Here We Go Again!