Pet Peeves a new volume:

Pet Peeves a new volume:

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:45 pm

this thread
Last edited by Philly the Kid on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Postby 1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:47 pm

who are these people?
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
User avatar
1
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP
 
Posts: 49632
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:55 pm
Location: (sending check)

Re: Pet Peeves a new volume:

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Woody wrote:z_, I think you're missing the point. We need to click these little bastards or else next thing you know we'll all be over at Tardboard hitting on


I'm not picking on YOU Woodrow -- but I've been meaning to get this out for a long time:

this term "tardboard" or use of "tard" -- just not coming off cool at all. I get how its used. I just think its really uncool phrase. Reeks a lot of super nerdy geeky internet jargon. Really need to ban its use. Feeling like bad sandal wearing faux pas.
User avatar
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:52 pm

1 wrote:who are these people?


All of California and the midwest, half of east coast under the age of 30. Advertising copy writers for national campaigns of chain pizza...
User avatar
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Postby CalvinBall » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

i feel like i should be able to say 1 happ and get a slice of plain/cheese pizza.
User avatar
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
 
Posts: 57565
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Out There

Postby jamiethekiller » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:00 pm

after working at a pizza shop for 5 years:

if the person just says "plain," then you basically HAVE to ask if they want cheese or white. they are both 'plain' pizza. you wouldn't believe how many people would want white over cheese when saying 'plain.'

when asking for a 'slice' i would have to always double check to see what they really wanted. "oh, i didn't want cheese, i wanted pepperoni" THEN WHY THE #$!&@ DID YOU JUST SAY A SLICE without an adjective attached to it?
User avatar
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 24745
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:31 am

Postby CrashburnAlley » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:02 pm

As a picky eater, I always add an addendum to my food orders. I don't assume the guy or girl behind the counter is a mind-reader and knows exactly what I want. Plain pizza is the only type of pizza I eat, so I always order, "one plain cheese pizza." The extra word is not too much effort for me, makes the job easier on the other side, and I'm assured I get what I want.
Crashburn Alley

WTF C'MON GUYZ STOP BEING PPL AND START BEIN HOCKY ROBOTS
CrashburnAlley
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:11 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Postby Slowhand » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:03 pm

I'm pretty sure you've ranted about this pizza thing before. You're starting to repeat your material, kid.
How dare you interrupt my Lime Rickey!
User avatar
Slowhand
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 22612
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Fake news

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:04 pm

jamiethekiller wrote:after working at a pizza shop for 5 years:

if the person just says "plain," then you basically HAVE to ask if they want cheese or white. they are both 'plain' pizza. you wouldn't believe how many people would want white over cheese when saying 'plain.'

when asking for a 'slice' i would have to always double check to see what they really wanted. "oh, i didn't want cheese, i wanted pepperoni" THEN WHY THE $#@! DID YOU JUST SAY A SLICE without an adjective attached to it?


Yeah, well I've never walked in to a pizza shop that sells by the slice and seen anything that could be confused for plain. There is usually a pie out there with no toppings. I know what "white" means, relative to "cheese". Does white mean no cheese at all? That's still not "plain", it's "cheeseless".

If I worked in a pizza joint and someone said, "hey, can I get a slice", I would just say "plain or toppings?" then they could say "plain" or "pepperoni" or "veggie" or whatever is there...

Sometimes when they say "cheese?" I repeat "plain..." they get it... eventually...
User avatar
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Postby 1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:07 pm

it's a shame that people are different
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
User avatar
1
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP
 
Posts: 49632
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:55 pm
Location: (sending check)

Postby Barry Jive » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:07 pm

so you're just a stubborn dick who's purposely trying not to comply when they ask for clarification? nice work
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Slowhand wrote:I'm pretty sure you've ranted about this pizza thing before. You're starting to repeat your material, kid.


Yeah, I guess so. The whole "regular vs grande" thing got me going though... got me thinking about how labels get applied.

I still refuse to refer to the once East River Drive as "Kelly Drive". Bugs me. Cheese pizza label grates on me badly.

I'll work up some fresh material. I've barely touched my archive of topics, stories etc...
User avatar
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Postby CalvinBall » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:11 pm

grate, cheese, good one
User avatar
CalvinBall
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
 
Posts: 57565
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Out There

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Barry Jive wrote:so you're just a stubborn dick who's purposely trying not to comply when they ask for clarification? nice work


No, I refuse to accept the branding "cheese pizza" as the actual label. Plain = dough - sauce - cheese. I shouldn't have to call out a particular ingredient. You already stepped in to the poop, because you accept and assume that the proper name for it - is "Cheese Pizza". That's my whole point.

I am totally clear and need no further clarification. See I didn't ask for any topppings -- so you can't be confused on which one. I said, "plain", not pepperoni or mushroom or veggie. What clarification do you need, "oh, I mean the one with dough, sauce and cheese... that one, no toppings ... got it?" is that what I need to say?
User avatar
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Postby Barry Jive » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:17 pm

i say "plain." but if someone hears that and asks "cheese?" to clarify, i'm going to say "yes," because i know we now have a mutual understanding of what i'm asking for. you're arguing that everyone should live by your standard of semantics, which is so childish. you know, we used to call movies "talkies." are you upset to see that changed? do you say "what is that? i've never heard of that" when someone asks if you've seen a certain "movie"? because that's exactly what you're doing here. it's stupid.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Last time I had a pretty young cheerleader pull the cheese on me, it cost $50 extra...



Srsly... I guess this falls in the category of what to expect in places/regions/et al that don't really know what "real" pizza is. Where pizza vernacular comes from frozen pizza boxes labeled "cheese" or "pepperoni".


Probably the moment I realized I was a "stranger in a strange land" was the time me and the missus stopped at a Pizza Hut in Kissimmee several years ago. In placing our order, asked for a pitcher of birch beer (which is what we'd normally get at the PA Pizza Huts). Dude just stared at us for a few seconds, then replied "uh, we don't serve alcohol".
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
User avatar
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 12571
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue

Postby Philly the Kid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Barry Jive wrote:i say "plain." but if someone hears that and asks "cheese?" to clarify, i'm going to say "yes," because i know we now have a mutual understanding of what i'm asking for. you're arguing that everyone should live by your standard of semantics, which is so childish. you know, we used to call movies "talkies." are you upset to see that changed? do you say "what is that? i've never heard of that" when someone asks if you've seen a certain "movie"? because that's exactly what you're doing here. it's stupid.


Uh, ok -- this thread is pet peeves. That's one of mine. It's stupid to you, but I'm sure you don't have any pet peeves of your own. Your just a totally accomodating person in every situation of life. You live and let live and just respect differences and embrace diversity.

Just because something changes -- doesn't mean I have to change with it.

Talkies is not really a good example because you are taking about 90 years ago.

There are regional colloquialisms -- if someone from the midwest says "pop", I know what they mean. If someone says "kicks" instead of "sneaks" or "running shoes" -- may be an age or regional thing. I'm not obstinate for the sake of it. I don't accept that the name for a plain slice of pizza or any kind of pizza is "cheese".

You go to gas station you get hi octane, low octane, diesel -- if you said "fill it with regular..." and someone said "87 octane???" would you feel like you needed to qualify it like that? C'mon....
User avatar
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 19005
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Postby Barry Jive » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:30 pm

well the reason people generally say "regular" is because that's usually what it says on the tank as opposed to "plus" or "premium" or whatever. but i get your point. you're still obstinate.
no offense but you are everything that's wrong with America
User avatar
Barry Jive
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 37856
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: I'm Doug, solamente Doug.

Postby kopphanatic » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:33 pm

If I want just cheese, I specify cheese. I'm afraid that I'll end up getting bread and sauce if I just say plain.
You're the conductor Ruben. Time to blow the whistle!
User avatar
kopphanatic
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: middle in

Postby jerseyhoya » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm

I've discussed this before, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in life that pisses me off more than people standing on the left on the Metro escalators. Seriously people. Stand on the #$!&@ right.
User avatar
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 93270
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Southwest DC

Next

Return to Here We Go Again!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests