Deep Thoughts by Derek Bodner: Sixers Ongoing Thread

Re: Deep Thoughts by Derek Bodner: Sixers Ongoing Thread

Postby pacino » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:43 am

we need a doctor on this board
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am

WebMD says amputation

:ce:
BigEd76
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby heyeaglefn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:45 am

The Doctors on the radio have said they were taking a big risk, you never know how someone will heal and there is always the chance you continue to have the issue reoccur.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby BigEd76 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:45 am

Asked about Saric, says they "feel good" about him eventually joining the team

PC over. Draft pick PC tomorrow at noon
BigEd76

Postby Eem » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:45 am

BigEd76 wrote:Says while we think of "Jo" as that kid that never plays, but prospects think of him as "that guy that dunked on me"

Well that makes me feel better
Bed and bath i love this places
Eem
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:45 am

pacino wrote:
CalvinBall wrote:you are the weirdest guy

one of us is. you troll half hte sports threads on this board for no reason

i dont even post in half the threads, weirdo.
CalvinBall

Postby karn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:47 am

If Embiid is still asymptomatic but the scans show the same thing in October he has to play right? I said weeks ago the ultimate conspiracy is that this is some genetic anomaly or old break from Cameroonian soccer battle royals that healed abnormally and he's just going to have to live with. When the guy has never experienced pain before being diagnosed and feels no pain a year into a recovery schedule ir's impossible to force him to keep sitting IMO
karn
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:49 am

karn wrote:If Embiid is still asymptomatic but the scans show the same thing in October he has to play right? I said weeks ago the ultimate conspiracy is that this is some genetic anomaly or old break from Cameroonian soccer battle royals that healed abnormally and he's just going to have to live with. When the guy has never experienced pain before being diagnosed and feels no pain a year into a recovery schedule ir's impossible to force him to keep sitting IMO

at a certain point i would think his agent may call up the players' association if he is deemed not able to play despite no pain
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby ReadingPhilly » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:50 am

pacino wrote:
karn wrote:If Embiid is still asymptomatic but the scans show the same thing in October he has to play right? I said weeks ago the ultimate conspiracy is that this is some genetic anomaly or old break from Cameroonian soccer battle royals that healed abnormally and he's just going to have to live with. When the guy has never experienced pain before being diagnosed and feels no pain a year into a recovery schedule ir's impossible to force him to keep sitting IMO

at a certain point i would think his agent may call up the players' association if he is deemed not able to play despite no pain

I think that's what they're trying to determine. it doesn't really benefit the sixers to continue to keep him out either.
ReadingPhilly

Postby Eddie Jordan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:50 am

one of my friends rolled his ankle really bad, went to doctor and they told him he fractured his foot. Then another look at x ray revealed it was a break he had when he was a teenager, never felt any pain or anything. He is not a 7 foot professional athlete, but I guess Karn's theory isn't impossible.
Continued success, thanks for comin' on the show!
Eddie Jordan
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:51 am

wasn't the initial injury something that was just kinda found during a routine physical
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:52 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:wasn't the initial injury something that was just kinda found during a routine physical

yeah i think so. it wasn't like he had an incident, i believe
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby karn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:52 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:wasn't the initial injury something that was just kinda found during a routine physical

Yes, he was in Cleveland for pre-draft workout and their staff (presumably) identified it
karn
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby gr » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:56 am

maybe there was a fly on the x-ray screen
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:06 am

The toughest thing to determine with Embiid's injury is something which may not be precisely determinable: What is causing the slow healing?

There are a range of possible factors, most of which can be ruled out, e.g., age, obesity, diabetes, even smoking. The two overwhelmingly likely culprits are overexertion and/or blood flow issues. I imagine it's nearly impossible to know which is the cause or, if they're both causing it, how much is determined by each.

At the same time, making some determination is crucial to next steps (no pun intended). If it's just overexertion, you can slow him down and hope the healing pace picks up. If it's primarily a blood flow issue, though, all the time off in the world may not make a difference.

That, in turn, leads to the question of what would be the best active treatment option(s) and there are going to be differing medical opinions on those options. Some may recommend electromagnetic treatments to help stimulate blood flow. Others will say those treatments won't be effective and, besides, he may already be having them. Other doctors may suggest plasma treatments on the navicular (similar to what Bynum had performed on his knee), but the effectiveness of those treatments is still debated medically. Still others may recommend a bone graft which, of course, means another lost season, but which may be the best long-term option.

The point is both the diagnosis of the cause(s) of the slow healing and the proper treatment going forward are, in the words of Donald Rumsfeld, known unknowns. Ultimately there will have to be a consensus as to what to do, but anyone expecting a clear path with defined results is likely to be disappointed. Although I agree that I'd kind of like to see it happen, the one route I just can't see the Sixers taking is to say: "#$!&@ it. If he's asymptomatic, let him play even if it's not totally healed."
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby karn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:10 am

This is Embiid appx. 1 month before the foot diagnosis came to light doing the workout Porzingis just did Link.

There was also amorphous speculation that Cleveland had leaked bad intel on his physical at the time (I say amorphous because it was never combined with any logical reason for them to do that). But because he got such quick surgery after diagnosis (surgery recovery was what kept him at home on draft night) we were basically forced even after taking him to adhere to the timetable of recovery for an injury both diagnosed and attended to by people with heavily competing interests to our own
karn
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Previous

Return to Sixers Archive