Jahlil OhNokafor and Joel Embrokenfoot- Sixers Meltdowns

Jahlil OhNokafor and Joel Embrokenfoot- Sixers Meltdowns

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:50 am

pacino wrote:from May 21st,2014:

Gimpy wrote:Can't wait until we draft Embiid this year and Okafor next year. We can trot out a triple tower lineup.

Uh, sorry guys.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: Jahlil OhNokafor and Joel Embrokenfoot- Sixers Meltdowns

Postby ReadingPhilly » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:05 am

hinkie didn't seem to think okafor's defense was as big a negative as everyone else did. a bit of a relief to me.
ReadingPhilly
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am

ReadingPhilly wrote:hinkie didn't seem to think okafor's defense was as big a negative as everyone else did. a bit of a relief to me.

For somebody who limits his media discussions, he's a spinmaster.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am

The cover story on Grantland right now is called "Trusting the Process" and the byline reads "How the rest of the league out-Hinkie'd the Sixers at the NBA draft."

I can't wait to win 8 titles in the next 15 years.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby ReadingPhilly » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 am

Gimpy wrote:The cover story on Grantland right now is called "Trusting the Process" and the byline reads "How the rest of the league out-Hinkie'd the Sixers at the NBA draft."

written by a sixers fan and I didn't think it was that bad.
ReadingPhilly

Postby Soren » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:17 am

gimpy I love you
I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals. They were like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise & stronger.
Soren
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:18 am

I haven't read the article, but there's at least some validity to the thesis: Over the last couple of years other teams tanked better, got better ping pong balls and used the assets they had collected to move up and get some good talent.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:19 am

JFLNYC wrote:The toughest thing to determine with Embiid's injury is something which may not be precisely determinable: What is causing the slow healing?

There are a range of possible factors, most of which can be ruled out, e.g., age, obesity, diabetes, even smoking. The two overwhelmingly likely culprits are overexertion and/or blood flow issues. I imagine it's nearly impossible to know which is the cause or, if they're both causing it, how much is determined by each.

At the same time, making some determination is crucial to next steps (no pun intended). If it's just overexertion, you can slow him down and hope the healing pace picks up. If it's primarily a blood flow issue, though, all the time off in the world may not make a difference.

That, in turn, leads to the question of what would be the best active treatment option(s) and there are going to be differing medical opinions on those options. Some may recommend electromagnetic treatments to help stimulate blood flow. Others will say those treatments won't be effective and, besides, he may already be having them. Other doctors may suggest plasma treatments on the navicular (similar to what Bynum had performed on his knee), but the effectiveness of those treatments is still debated medically. Still others may recommend a bone graft which, of course, means another lost season, but which may be the best long-term option.

The point is both the diagnosis of the cause(s) of the slow healing and the proper treatment going forward are, in the words of Donald Rumsfeld, known unknowns. Ultimately there will have to be a consensus as to what to do, but anyone expecting a clear path with defined results is likely to be disappointed. Although I agree that I'd kind of like to see it happen, the one route I just can't see the Sixers taking is to say: "#$!&@ it. If he's asymptomatic, let him play even if it's not totally healed."

How long has he had it? If he's always had it and they just never noticed, then just let him play. There was nothing specific that caused it, no?

edit: I mean, is the guy just supposed to rot?
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Eddie Jordan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:24 am

Boston is still shopping Marcus Smart. I really hope that Noel for Smart isn't a thing. I don't think he's that good
Continued success, thanks for comin' on the show!
Eddie Jordan
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby karn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:30 am

Stevens is a good coach if he can't make a use of the guy on their own rebuilding team that's enough of a red flag
karn
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby WilliamC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:32 am

To BigPiece's point in the last thread yeah there isn't really a comparison between McConnell and and Craft. Craft could defend a little and annoy the hell out of his ma. TJ is going to find a spot in the league either in Philly or elsewhere I bet. He is very skilled.
Do it again!
WilliamC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby WilliamC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:34 am

Eddie Jordan wrote:Boston is still shopping Marcus Smart. I really hope that Noel for Smart isn't a thing. I don't think he's that good

Maybe that would be a positive when it comes to Embiid though. Everything is so up and down. Smart won't be a star most likely but he can be a solid PG.
Do it again!
WilliamC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jamiethekiller » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:35 am

Embiids gonna be so good. We're gonna end up trading Okafor for Rudy Gay in 2 years.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby karn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:38 am

I don't think that amount of risk (i.e. Noel) on a guy like Smart is ever worth it. If anything given his personality getting traded a year after being drafted would put a chip on his shoulder to ball out and produce numbers in a way that's too far out of the team concept we're trying to achieve. He always seemed somewhat selfish and ego driven in his approachwhich would be a bad element to add to this mix given that he appears to lack elite qualities in most areas of his game

I think our best case FA would be something like Rodriguez and Carroll or equivalents, but those two in particular I think could help W/L for this season and still be useful 2-3 years from now on a more theoretically cohesive (coherent?) team
karn
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:39 am

To me the confounding thing about Jah is that on offense he's active, with great footwork, uses his bulk to great advantage and gets elevation for alley oops and offensive rebounds, while on defense he's slow, with bad footwork, seems to avoid contact and seems glued to the floor. What that suggests to me is that he's either not been well-coached on defense, not yet developed good defensive habits and/or just doesn't put in the effort.

One thing is for sure: He'll be coached up on D with the Sixers and BB will demand the effort on that end of the floor. That, in turn, will result in one of two things: Either he'll become a better defender with a more consistent effort or, even though there's little doubt he has the physical ability to get better, he won't make a sufficient effort to do so. If it's the former, he's going to be very, very successful. If it's the latter, things won't end well, at least not with the Sixers.
Jamie

JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:41 am

ReadingPhilly wrote:
Gimpy wrote:The cover story on Grantland right now is called "Trusting the Process" and the byline reads "How the rest of the league out-Hinkie'd the Sixers at the NBA draft."

written by a sixers fan and I didn't think it was that bad.

Ah, I wasn't going to read it, but I might check it out now.

Soren wrote:gimpy I love you

;)
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The B1G Piece » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 am

WilliamC wrote:To BigPiece's point in the last thread yeah there isn't really a comparison between McConnell and and Craft. Craft could defend a little and annoy the hell out of his ma. TJ is going to find a spot in the league either in Philly or elsewhere I bet. He is very skilled.

summarizes my point. Aaron was a nice college player but TJ is much more skilled offensively.
The B1G Piece
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 am

PTOITWCFTPP wrote:However, I'm thoroughly disgusted with how this draft played out. We didn't get Russell, we couldn't trade back into the Top 10 to grab Mudiay or Winslow, then we couldn't make a trade for Jerian Grant, RJ Hunter or Tyus Jones? Instead, we draft more big guys in the second round and trade our highest one to the Knicks for more future assets. These future assets are worth significantly less if they aren't going to ever pull the trigger on a trade to move up and grab someone that we NEED.

this is an important point for me. if we do another free agency with no significant signings, I will be very disappointed in Hinkie. we have all of these assets and I would have been totally fine with overpaying to add real talent to our wing and back court positions, which, to use the Deadspin parlance of are time, are like filled with d-league talent, man.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:50 am

Okafor / Embiid (putting him second because his health is a question mark)
Noel / Grant / Furk
RoCo / GRIII
Hollis / JaKarr
Ish / Wroten / Canaan

I know I'm an unabashed homer/optimist (thread title aside) so this should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm going to have a lot of fun watching these guys. Add in Middleton (please) and that's a not too terrible lineup for this year.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Mike in Midlothian » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:55 am

Gimpy wrote:Okafor / Embiid (putting him second because his health is a question mark)
Noel / Grant / Furk
RoCo / GRIII
Hollis / JaKarr
Ish / Wroten / Canaan

I know I'm an unabashed homer/optimist (thread title aside) so this should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm going to have a lot of fun watching these guys. Add in Middleton (please) and that's a not too terrible lineup for this year.

Even without Middleton, just with good health, that lineup wins 35 games in the east next year.
LIDGEPROOF
Mike in Midlothian
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Next

Return to Sixers Archive