Trust The Process: A Summer Journey of Emotions (Sixers)

Re: Trust The Process: A Summer Journey of Emotions (Sixers)

Postby Youseff » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 am

phillychuck wrote:Anyone know Oakafor's usage rate in SL? Or do they even bother to figure that out?

I need to see all the Okafor stats. I want to see how often he gets blocked, his TS%, his PER, etc. ALL OF IT!!!
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby heyeaglefn » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 am

Youseff wrote:
heyeaglefn wrote:
Youseff wrote:
heyeaglefn wrote:I don't think anyone thought he was a polished shooter at this point.

that was one of his selling points

I was talking about comparing him to Stauskas, I didn't think anyone thought he was that good of a shooter.

that was literally what people liked about him.

So you think he is as good of a shooter as Stauskas was in college? There are different levels of shooters, and I thought Stauskas was considered in the next tier, but I guess I am wrong.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby pacino » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 am

430 TS%, 441 eFG, 16 ORB%, 12 DRB% (yikes!), 31% usage
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby azrider » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:38 am

pacino wrote:430 TS%, 441 eFG, 16 ORB%, 12 DRB% (yikes!), 31% usage

It's also summer league where i put very little weight into stats. Did he show me he can do most of the things in college, in the summer league? Yeah

Did he also show me that he is out of shape, provides very little threat defensively and is absolutely atrocious trying to play the pick and roll? Yeah

Do I think he can fix those problems? Yeah

Do I think he will be a future all star? Yeah
azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Youseff » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:40 am

heyeaglefn wrote:
Youseff wrote:
heyeaglefn wrote:
Youseff wrote:
heyeaglefn wrote:I don't think anyone thought he was a polished shooter at this point.

I was talking about comparing him to Stauskas, I didn't think anyone thought he was that good of a shooter.

So you think he is as good of a shooter as Stauskas was in college? There are different levels of shooters, and I thought Stauskas was considered in the next tier, but I guess I am wrong.

it's fair to think Stauskas was a better shooter, for sure, but a PG .411 as an 18 year old with not too many other offensive options on the team also led a lot of people to believe DR was a really good shooting prospect.
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PhillyPhan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 am

heyeaglefn wrote:
Youseff wrote:
heyeaglefn wrote:
Youseff wrote:

College stats for both..

NS 47% FG, 44% 3PT
DR 45% FG, 41% 3PT

Nik was slightly better but I wouldn't say significantly
PhillyPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 am

Pretty pumped about how awful the Lakers are gonna be. Kobe will rip Hibbert's head off.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby BIGPHILLY » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:43 am

I think (even thought it's absurdly premature) that Russell was the classic beneficiary of the Steph Curry/James Harden / Jimmy Butler trend that is somewhat deceiving. There will always be more volume of talented 2/3 in the world than 4/5 options. When Doug Gottlieb types started screaming that Russell was so amazing and the next revolutionary 2/3 combo talent that rules the modern NBA - you could just feel the swing in that direction for the Lakers. I think of Johnny Manziel as an example (i'm reaching) in the NFL. This guy would have been undrafted a decade ago or in the 90s. Because of the swing to the spread offense and RG3 mentality - Cleveland bought in. The Lakers saw Randle/Okafor as a problem. They saw Kobe as retiring shortly. They saw the trend and they bought the hype. Okafor will be Tim Duncan light for a decade plus and Russell will probably be a Bradley Beal type talent (Which is nice) but not a franchise big like Okafor. The Lakers screwed this one up.
BIGPHILLY
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby phillychuck » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 am

MoBettle wrote:Pretty pumped about how awful the Lakers are gonna be. Kobe will rip Hibbert's head off.

Don't want Lakers to be bottom 3, though. #weownthepick
Marquelle Fultz: (6/23) "My goal is to be the best player in the NBA."
Ben Simmons: (8/28) "My goal is to be the best in the league."
Don't fight, Embiid has this covered.
phillychuck
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby JFLNYC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:45 am

Not sure either is a franchise player.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby azrider » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 am

JFLNYC wrote:Not sure either is a franchise player.

One of them will demand a double team almost immediately. That kinda means that one is at least almost half way there.
azrider
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 am

phillychuck wrote:
MoBettle wrote:Pretty pumped about how awful the Lakers are gonna be. Kobe will rip Hibbert's head off.

Don't want Lakers to be bottom 3, though. #weownthepick

just for fun:

worst record: .357 chance we get their pick
2nd worst record: .442
3rd worst record: .531
4th worst record: .622
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Youseff » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 am

BIGPHILLY wrote:I think (even thought it's absurdly premature) that Russell was the classic beneficiary of the Steph Curry/James Harden / Jimmy Butler trend that is somewhat deceiving. There will always be more volume of talented 2/3 in the world than 4/5 options. When Doug Gottlieb types started screaming that Russell was so amazing and the next revolutionary 2/3 combo talent that rules the modern NBA - you could just feel the swing in that direction for the Lakers. I think of Johnny Manziel as an example (i'm reaching) in the NFL. This guy would have been undrafted a decade ago or in the 90s. Because of the swing to the spread offense and RG3 mentality - Cleveland bought in. The Lakers saw Randle/Okafor as a problem. They saw Kobe as retiring shortly. They saw the trend and they bought the hype. Okafor will be Tim Duncan light for a decade plus and Russell will probably be a Bradley Beal type talent (Which is nice) but not a franchise big like Okafor. The Lakers screwed this one up.

today is literally the first day I've heard people refer to D'Angelo as a 3 and I feel like I read every article about him leading up to the draft
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby pacino » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:01 am

no way he has the strength for it
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby PhillyPhan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:04 am

That's the most recent Lakers talk. Unless Kobe is playing the 3. They want to run with those 3 on the court

Their starting 5....
Clarkson
Kobe
Russell
Randle
Hibbert
PhillyPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby laf837 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:06 am

azrider wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:Not sure either is a franchise player.

One of them will demand a double team almost immediately. That kinda means that one is at least almost half way there.

tbf, by the nature of the position, even the best 1s and 2s rarely ever see a double team
laf837
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Grotewold » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 am

PhillyPhan wrote:That's the most recent Lakers talk. Unless Kobe is playing the 3. They want to run with those 3 on the court

Their starting 5....
Clarkson
Kobe
Russell
Randle
Hibbert

That's ludicrous. What would Russell really gain from a season so out of position

As for the Okafor double and even triple teams -- Bobby Buckets has to be hype
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:23 am

They're gonna try to play Kobe at the 3 not Russell. Scott talked about it when we played them.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby rolex » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:34 am

BIGPHILLY wrote:I think (even thought it's absurdly premature) that Russell was the classic beneficiary of the Steph Curry/James Harden / Jimmy Butler trend that is somewhat deceiving. There will always be more volume of talented 2/3 in the world than 4/5 options. When Doug Gottlieb types started screaming that Russell was so amazing and the next revolutionary 2/3 combo talent that rules the modern NBA - you could just feel the swing in that direction for the Lakers. I think of Johnny Manziel as an example (i'm reaching) in the NFL. This guy would have been undrafted a decade ago or in the 90s. Because of the swing to the spread offense and RG3 mentality - Cleveland bought in. The Lakers saw Randle/Okafor as a problem. They saw Kobe as retiring shortly. They saw the trend and they bought the hype. Okafor will be Tim Duncan light for a decade plus and Russell will probably be a Bradley Beal type talent (Which is nice) but not a franchise big like Okafor. The Lakers screwed this one up.

Interesting post. Your point about the NBA trend of falling in love with shooting guards is spot on. Sports tend to be very copy cattish. The other thing that has to be remembered here is that Russell is one year out of h.s. Years ago when under twenty-one year olds were not being drafted, Russell would be a player that teams would allow to mature and then analyze. Who knows if Russell would be the second pick in a draft of maturer players. Sure Russell has had raves coming from Pitino, Matta and others but playing against college players, even good ones, is a far cry from standing up to NBA players. I'd rather have Okafor than him.
rolex
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Previous

Return to Sixers Archive