The Philadelphia 76(year)s (away) Thread

The Philadelphia 76(year)s (away) Thread

Postby Gimpy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:16 pm

The reddit topic about where to draft star players got me thinking. The OP just based it on the all-star/all-nba info. It was also pointed out that you can draft "stars" anywhere. But it was bothering me that the "stars" in question weren't really tiered in any way. Like sure, LeBron is better than Kyrie, but they both had "superstar" status.

I decided to give it a crack on my own. I looked at MVP top 5 finishes because I think that's a way better indicator than all-star selections since guys like Jrue and Iggy have been all-stars. When writers vote for MVP, their top pick gets 10 points, second gets 7, third gets 5, fourth gets 3, and fifth gets 1. So I looked at MVP finishes over the last 15 seasons and allocated players 10 points for an MVP win, 7 for a runner up, etc. I figured I could then look at the points they got and at their draft selection and see what kind of correlation there is. So here's the data, players ranked in order of points they accumulated:

Edit for clarity: I allotted points based on where they finished in MVP voting, not based on how writers voted. I only put that in there to show where I got idea for the point system I used

As you can see, there's a total of 390 points. 170 points (43.6% of the total) went to first overall picks. 271 points (69.5% of the total) went to top five picks. 310 points (79.5% of the total) went to top ten picks. 357 points (91.5%) went to lottery picks.

If you ignore the points they scored and just look at the number of players, there's a total of 27 of them. Of those 27, 9 are first overall picks. That's one third of the total. Another 9 are guys who were picked 2-5. So 2/3 of the guys who finished top 5 in MVP voting over the past 15 years were top 5 picks.

Sure, you can find stars, great players, and MVPs deeper in the draft, but you're vastly increasing your odds of finding one of those guys if you're drafting high. Sorry for the book I just posted, but it was a little more interesting to me than the Colangelo speculation and debating the morality of Hinkie's severe weed addiction.
Last edited by Gimpy on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: The Philadelphia 76(year)s (away) Thread

Postby Youseff » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:19 pm

nice work

from ESPN insider

Such an advisory role would be consistent with the collaborative decision-making process Colangelo and co-managing owner Josh Harris outlined at Monday's news conference. The model might be Jerry West's role with the Golden State Warriors.

West, 77, like Colangelo an accomplished executive in his 70s, is one of many voices in Golden State's front office as a consultant. Instead of undermining Warriors GM Bob Myers, West's presence has strengthened the organization, and Myers won NBA executive of the year last season for his role in building the 2014-15 league champions.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Napalm » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:21 pm

espn with a good scoop to alleviate fears. gimpy with double scoop.
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Gimpy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

That's pretty neat and a comforting thought. He also came on board right before they drafted Klay and Draymond so it's not like they had their whole team assembled by the time he showed up.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:24 pm

Hinkie himself believes the addition of Colangelo will bring benefits.

“I feel really good about this,” Hinkie said. “I’m so big on diversity of opinion, and people having their own ideas, and being a meritocracy of ideas where the best ideas win. In any meeting, we’re constantly trying to pit someone as the Devil’s advocate, someone to take the other side, someone to make a new, clever argument from their unique experience. Often, those opinions are best formed out of a diversity of experiences as well. So being able to have someone like this in our group, I think that’s really positive.”
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm feeling better and better about the Jerry thing. Hinkie loves to have as much info as possible. I'm confident he's going to find a good way to utilize Jerry's input.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PSUEagle » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Stop with your reasonable takes and let me go full Emo, thanks.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Fingers crossed that you guys are right about Colangelo's ultimate role, although the tenor of that press conference doesn't fill me with complete confidence in that happening
PSUEagle
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Youseff » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:33 pm

right? Hinkie has a lot to learn about being a public face but he's undoubtably very talented. this mitigates the negatives and lets him focus on his positives. as long as they have good chemistry - and I'm hopeful they will - I can see them working well together.
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:38 pm

PSUEagle wrote:Stop with your reasonable takes and let me go full Emo, thanks.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Fingers crossed that you guys are right about Colangelo's ultimate role, although the tenor of that press conference doesn't fill me with complete confidence in that happening

speaking of which - where are are the online clips?
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Dude » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:39 pm

it's going to be like nicholson and the dog in As Good As It Gets
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby mcare89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:49 pm

Youseff wrote:nice work

from ESPN insider

Such an advisory role would be consistent with the collaborative decision-making process Colangelo and co-managing owner Josh Harris outlined at Monday's news conference. The model might be Jerry West's role with the Golden State Warriors.

West, 77, like Colangelo an accomplished executive in his 70s, is one of many voices in Golden State's front office as a consultant. Instead of undermining Warriors GM Bob Myers, West's presence has strengthened the organization, and Myers won NBA executive of the year last season for his role in building the 2014-15 league champions.

I do like that idea very much.
mcare89
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Napalm » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:52 pm

some pretty good vibes so far. but let's get down to the gritty again. controversy. sources. espn.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317 ... rs-changes

NBA owners have been lobbying the league's front office since the summer of 2014 to step in with regard to the direction of the Philadelphia 76ers, sources told ESPN.com on Monday night.

Philadelphia's addition of Colangelo was received as positive news in league ownership circles, where he is respected as a former owner of the Phoenix Suns.

But it was not the bad basketball as much as the hit to the business side that weighed on the rest of the league.

Owners routinely complained about the economic drag the 76ers were inflicting on the league as the revenues of one of the largest-market teams -- a franchise expected to contribute more robustly to league revenue sharing -- sagged.

For many teams, games featuring the starless and woeful 76ers as the visiting team have resulted in their lowest-attended games of the season, sources said.

Despite Colangelo affirming Hinkie will retain final say on personnel matters and Harris saying this move was not a deviation from their plan, those who know Colangelo believe he will have major influence on significant decisions going forward.

"Jerry is not someone who just comes in and gives advice on something he's invested in," said one league executive with a long history with Colangelo. "I don't see him as being just one voice in a collaborative process."

"This is most certainly a wide-ranging deal," said another longtime league executive. "Jerry is famous for being aggressive and getting perks, money and power in his deals."

League insiders speculate Colangelo will eventually end up investing in the 76ers and becoming a co-owner as part of this association. But no such announcement was made Monday.

Already rival executives believe Colangelo plans to use his ties to USA Basketball to help potentially recruit stars to Philadelphia.
Napalm

Postby mcare89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 pm

If they're so concerned about revenues, they're more than welcome to give us some of their star players.
mcare89
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PSUEagle » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Napalm wrote:some pretty good vibes so far. but let's get down to the gritty again. controversy. sources. espn.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317 ... rs-changes

Already rival executives believe Colangelo plans to use his ties to USA Basketball to help potentially recruit stars to Philadelphia.

That's totally going to work, no doubt about it.
PSUEagle
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Youseff » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 pm

if there's a lot of people saying the league stepped in, then I need to step out of denial and say it's a possibility. it's crazy, but that's how weird this process has been. Bill Simmons is right - when this is done it's going to be the best 30 for 30. that said, if you're Hinkie/Harris in this position, and you've been forced to hire a HOF basketball mind - do you view that as a negative or do you look at it as a positive opportunity to better yourselves and your situation?
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:03 am

Napalm wrote:
But it was not the bad basketball as much as the hit to the business side that weighed on the rest of the league.

Owners routinely complained about the economic drag the 76ers were inflicting on the league as the revenues of one of the largest-market teams -- a franchise expected to contribute more robustly to league revenue sharing -- sagged.

For many teams, games featuring the starless and woeful 76ers as the visiting team have resulted in their lowest-attended games of the season, sources said.

That's kind of silly. We're in the middle of the pack in road attendance. Who wouldn't want the Washington Generals to come to town and be guaranteed to see a win? I mean other than true Sixers fans.
Which part? And who are you?
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Napalm » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:08 am

i thought the most interesting take away was Colangelo investing in co-ownership here. I wonder if that is dependant on his level of involvement
Napalm

Postby MoBettle » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:12 am

swishnicholson wrote:
Napalm wrote:

That's kind of silly. We're in the middle of the pack in road attendance. Who wouldn't want the Washington Generals to come to town and be guaranteed to see a win? I mean other than true Sixers fans.

Yeah we're averaging a whopping 300-400 fans less than the league average.

IDK where these guys think the Sixers would get better players from. I wonder how their attendance would have been impacted if the Sixers signed their 2nd/3rd best player and they were a noticeably worse team...
Last edited by MoBettle on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Dude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:12 am

I'm more interested in why'd they'd want him as an buy-in at all. If the league's involvement is true, ok, i can see that. But why the need for him to also buy into the team?
BSG HOF '25
The Dude
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Napalm » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:16 am

yes that does seem contradicting. maybe espn is creating its own news snd rumors again.
Napalm

Next

Return to Sixers Archive