this will be the Castle that Embiid built. the future is now
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Re: Phila. 76ers Bonanza Pajama Party

Postby pacino » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 am

In Zack Lowe's recent column:
1. Ish Smith off the high, high, high glass

Sam Hinkie, the Sixers' GM, took some ribbing when he suggested Kendall Marshall could have averted the Sixers' embarrassing 1-30 start to Year 3 of The Process. He didn't mean to paint Marshall as some sort of savior. What he really meant: With a semi-competent point guard, the Sixers would have been a run-of-the-mill awful team, instead of a historically inept comedy troupe flinging away a record-setting number of turnovers.

As it turns out, the Sixers didn't need Marshall, who is currently riding the bench. They needed Ish Smith, the most beloved sub-40 percent shooter since jiggly Antoine Walker. When the Sixers separate Nerlens Noel and Jahlil Okafor, spread the floor as much as a rebuilding project bereft of shooting can manage and let Smith run wild, they look like a real NBA team! Smith has unlocked Noel's potential as a lob finisher, and he can create a not-awful shot when a Philly possession sputters.

My favorite Ish-ism: When he drives the lane, encounters a massive help defender and lofts a layup so high off the glass, you assume it has zero chance. Some of those super-floaters go in, even if they hit the tippy-top of the backboard. For a guy who can't shoot jumpers, Smith has a soft touch around the basket. That's some good Ish!
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:41 am

This is the thread that will see the trade deadline come and go and the rising stars challenge. It'll be great.

Also, the article in the last thread about Saric was good reading, but it referred to him as the Sixers' "Turkish prospect."
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Soren » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am

Saric and Embiid might run this town if it breaks right.
I had a meeting at the Pentagon with lots of generals. They were like from a movie. Better looking than Tom Cruise & stronger.
Soren
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby pacino » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:43 am

Napalm wrote:TyranoSaric Rex

Selected with the No. 12 pick in the 2014 NBA draft, Saric has spent the past two seasons playing for Turkish club Anadolu Efes in the Euro-League. In 15 games this season, the 6-foot-9 forward is averaging 10.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 21 minutes per game. He’s also shooting 50.4 percent from the field and 44.1 percent from three-point range, hitting 15 threes in his 15 games.

With the young prospect shooting slightly better than 30 percent from long range last season and 43.3 percent overall, Hinkie has been impressed with Saric’s improvement with his shot.

“He’s doing really well for Efes this year,” Hinkie said. “He’s having a great season, he’s continued to shoot it really well.”

However, Hinkie said he is in regular contact with Saric and his representatives.

“Maybe 48 hours go by without one of us talking to him, not 72,” Hinkie said. “We spend a lot of time paying attention to his development because he’s important to us and because we care about him and he knows that. When the time is right, I’m sure he’ll make whatever’s the best decision for him.”

Development is still at the forefront of Saric’s game. Reports from the Euro-League indicate that Saric struggles on defense and has been plagued by foul trouble. Those are two aspects of the game that every young player struggles with and they undoubtedly will be issues when Saric comes to the NBA.

But Hinkie said the offensive side of Saric’s game has shown improvement.

“He’s done really well this year and he’s gifted, he can put it on the floor, he can defensive rebound, he can bring it up in transition,” Hinkie said. “When his day comes, he’ll have a lot of transition to the NBA that he’ll have to focus on. But shooting is definitely a part of what he’s been focused on and what he’s already improved on.”

Meanwhile, as the Sixers continue to keep close tabs on their Turkish prospect, Saric is also paying close attention to the Sixers, according to Hinkie. Brown also is in regular contact with Saric as well.

“He knows it and he knows how much we care about his development and how close attention we pay to every game and how he’s doing,” Hinkie said. “He’s paying pretty close attention to our games and how we’re progressing as well.”

feelin' like we may actually see the guy
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Napalm » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:43 am

Gimpy wrote:This is the thread that will see the trade deadline come and go and the rising stars challenge. It'll be great.

Also, the article in the last thread about Saric was good reading, but it referred to him as the Sixers' "Turkish prospect."

that is actually a type of hashish they were alluding to
Napalm

Postby pacino » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am

Lowe also panned the local broadcast:

5. Sponsored keys to the game

The two "Kia Keys to the Game" for the Sixers ahead of their unexpectedly thrilling game against Golden State on Saturday: protect the lane and protect the 3-point arc. That is one step from suggesting Philly attempt to score more points than the other team.

You can go die, sponsored keys to the game.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Wheels Tupay » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:09 am

pacino wrote:Lowe also panned the local broadcast:

5. Sponsored keys to the game

The two "Kia Keys to the Game" for the Sixers ahead of their unexpectedly thrilling game against Golden State on Saturday: protect the lane and protect the 3-point arc. That is one step from suggesting Philly attempt to score more points than the other team.

You can go die, sponsored keys to the game.

The elbows are open for business
"That’s the Southwest Philly floater, man.
Now imagine that everything you ever imagined... is possible. - Hinkieology
#TeamKap
Wheels Tupay

Postby pacino » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:16 am

Hinkie sees Colangelo as co-worker, not boss
some choices quotes in that piece

"He's already proven to be helpful," Hinkie said. "I'd be surprised if he can't be at least as helpful, if not more helpful, over time. I think he's brought a different perspective that's been good. I think he's brought a different level of gravitas and experience. Our discussions have been richer because he's been here. I don't see that changing."

He was asked if he saw Colangelo's presence as a threat in any way.

"In what sense?"

Lovin' Hink
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:17 am

I think the wild thing is how Colangelo's tone has changed since he came here. seemed like the thought Hinkie was a total buster when he came in but now he's on board. I like the set-up
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Napalm » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:I think the wild thing is how Colangelo's tone has changed since he came here. seemed like the thought Hinkie was a total buster when he came in but now he's on board. I like the set-up

things were a total mess at the time, it seemed natural for the a big honcho like Jerry to stamp his foot down in authority, but he also didn't have any details of the innerworkings at the time. All the collaborative stuff they fed us is turning out to be true. Not too long ago, people were wondering when Bryan Colangelo would be coming here..
Napalm

Postby pacino » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 am

probably never spoke to the guy before he was hired, or only for five minutes, and read the press clippings. then he realized the guy knows his stuff.

you see Hink a lot more now, too. it's a calming influence for everyone, i think.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:48 am

**Update: Four Boarders Night at the Sizzlers 2/6**

We'll be in Section 111, Row 14. If anyone else wants in, grab a cheap ticket and we can probably stub you into our section
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Youseff » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:41 am

agree that Jerry has been charmed by the seductive Samuel Hinkie
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby gr » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Grotewold wrote:**Update: Four Boarders Night at the Sizzlers 2/6**

We'll be in Section 111, Row 14. If anyone else wants in, grab a cheap ticket and we can probably stub you into our section

it is with great regret that i have to miss this. i really want to go, but have a couple things down here in DC that night, so can't get away. might be getting suite tix for the night before against the wizards tho, so kind of like pre-attending, in spirit.

thanks for putting it together, grote. wish i could do it.
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Doll Is Mine » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Colangelo probably realized that the league and agents didn't like Hinkie, not because he's anti-social but because he's gamed the system brilliantly.
Doll Is Mine

Postby Philly the Kid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:06 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:I think the wild thing is how Colangelo's tone has changed since he came here. seemed like the thought Hinkie was a total buster when he came in but now he's on board. I like the set-up

Agreed. I'm hopeful.
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:08 pm

It's a good sign that they're making them both available to the press
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Youseff » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:12 pm

get your trade deadline predictions in folks, quoted by yours truly for future bumps and internet posterity (& posterior-ity).

see ya later, Covington in a fairly shocking trade.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Napalm » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:17 pm

well as long the trade is fairly
Napalm

Next

Return to Sixers Archive