jakarr's 76ers

Re: jakarr's 76ers

Postby Gimpy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PhillyPhan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 am

Brown continues to talk about turning the page this off-season to start the march toward competitiveness. He says we will be in the free agent market for the first time, which will prove to be interesting.

With the players that we have and the likelihood of adding another top 2 pick to Embiid and Saric, this off-season could be a lot of fun.

Just took a look at the USA Today Mock that was just released yesterday. I'm still not sold on taking Ben Simmons #1, especially with all the front court players we have.

Really like Brandon Ingram at 1 or 2 for us as he's the best long term fit and I believe equal upside. If we land the Lakers pick, it has to be one of Kris Dunn, Jamal Murray or Timothe Liwawu (who has been climbing draft boards steadily). With the Miami and OKC picks, USA Today has us taking Isaia Cordinier and Tyler Ulis. Cordinier is a SG France and has a ton of upside, but hasn't played at a high level overseas. He's a great long term stash pick. Ulis of course is an undersized, but highly effective PG from Kentucky.

If all of the above mentioned actually happened, (including landing the Lakers pick), I'm not sure where we'd go in terms of adding a free agent or through a trade. It would seem likely that we just need to add stabilizing vets to help with growth. Keeping Ish Smith for example, would be paramount and Carl Landry is under contract for another year.

Just taking a peek ahead it would look like this:

PG: Ish Smith, TJ McConnell, Kendall Marshall
SG: Nik Stauskas
SF: Brandon Ingram, Robert Covington, Jerami Grant
PF: Nerlens Noel, Dario Saric, Carl Landry
C: Joel Embiid, Jahlil Okafor, Richaun Homes

In the draft we add Ingram (already listed above) along with Ulis and stash to be Cordinier. If we land the Lakers pick, room is really going to be tight and I think it bring forth the likelihood that we move 2-3 assets in a trade for a high end veteran. Look at our long term roster, that means we need a long term answer at PG and SG. This of course is where Embiid's health is really the ultimate question. If he is healthy, Okafor is the best bet to move on in a deal. I know we've already beaten that dead horse to death, but it remains the most logical path.

So, the question is who do the Sixers target? I still think it is going to be hard to lure a top FA to this team, although landing Kevin Durant would change everything. Outside of Durant, taking a shot on Bradley Beal (who is extremely talented but injury prone) would likely work. I'm sure we could craft an offer that would be hard to match and ultimately work out a sign and trade deal for him. He's the only other FA that I would target as a fit. If Indiana is ready to hit the rebuild button, then Paul George would be the best fit. Those are really the only options I would look at for next year.
PhillyPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Grotewold » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:41 am

They're kind of in a weird spot, especially if that Lakers pick doesn't convey. How do you know which position to commit a huge free agent contract to when you have a roster full of young guys and are going to have another high pick or two next year?

I guess the play is to build the best team you can this summer and view future picks as gravy, but that could be inefficient.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Napalm » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:49 am

i don't think they're making a splash in FA, can't quite do that until the team is proven good because the attraction is only in future promise right now. But signing any FA would be considered a departure of the past and march toward competitiveness
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby PhillyPhan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:50 am

Yeah the Lakers pick is a huge wild card. I think its likely a trade piece either way this offseason. If they can get a George or Beal then you do it to stabilize the team moving forward.
PhillyPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:50 am

I don't know, max contract length for FAs is 4 years. you play 3 guards/wings at a time and we currently have zero who play offense and defense. I don't see how they could go wrong signing a wing or guard unless maaaybe he is strictly point-only because those are supposed to be plentiful in the next draft, but even then it would be a minor problem

so any guard or wing, just get one

I am a little concerned about locker room dynamics when we have one guy who isn't even that good making four times as much as everyone else but what can ya do
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 am

Realistically how many free agents would come here? Sure you can sell the future looks bright, but most guys are going to want to see results before committing to come here. You could overpay, but many teams have to do that to get free agents so that may not even be enough.

Think next summer is more realistic if the team shows improvement to the 25-30 win range.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 am

I'm looking for a point guard in free agency. It doesn't have to be a top tier guy, but this team needs a steady hand if it wants to be competitive next year/in the future and the draft this year won't provide for us at that spot.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby pacino » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:02 am

you overpay for a guy like Bazemore (who the Hawks are NOT going to overpay). The money won't matter, but the both ends stabilizing force while the we develop the guys will matter.
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:04 am

but overpaying is already going to be the norm this summer. so you're talking about outspending even the teams willing to overpay. surely there is some limit where giving Kent Bazemore 18 million a year just isn't a good idea structure-wise?
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:07 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:I don't know, max contract length for FAs is 4 years. you play 3 guards/wings at a time and we currently have zero who play offense and defense. I don't see how they could go wrong signing a wing or guard unless maaaybe he is strictly point-only because those are supposed to be plentiful in the next draft, but even then it would be a minor problem

so any guard or wing, just get one

feel like I should amend this to say, actually getting a free agent will be difficult, but targeting them shouldn't be
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:07 am

contracts in the NBA are weird. there are going to be guys that are getting max contracts that are similar to actual stars that simply aren't worth it. stars are going to be underpaid going forward.

i think it is what it is, and overpaying for a Bazemore type will show the 76ers are willing to spend money and it really won't tie that much money up if it is for 4 years as you say.
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby ReadingPhilly » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:08 am

If the result of all this suffering is a 4/70 deal for bazemore I might actually cry.
ReadingPhilly

Postby pacino » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:10 am

that's not 'the' result, let's be real rp.

it's the first free agent. it lays the groundwork for re-entering the NBA, basically. they reached out to Butler and Middleton. we know the kind of guys they like to go after in FA. Bazemore fits that mold a bit. guys who worked hard to get better while in the NBA and show long-term stability on both ends.

i think there is little doubt there is a trade and THAT is how you would actually put the roster together going forward long-term.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby jamiethekiller » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:12 am

Bazemore is not my Elton Brand.

and i'm not sure Bazemore will be nearly as effective with us since we don't have Horford and Millsap destroying every team
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby pacino » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

Well yeah, the way you get your star is via trade or draft. That's been the point for 3 years.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby PSUPhilliesPhan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:29 am

Gimpy wrote:I'm looking for a point guard in free agency. It doesn't have to be a top tier guy, but this team needs a steady hand if it wants to be competitive next year/in the future and the draft this year won't provide for us at that spot.

Problem is the free agent PG list is horrible. Jeremy Lin is the 3rd best unrestricted free agent PG available, that says it all. I'd give Mike Conley a max but he's not leaving Memphis for a rebuild. The most realistic (and scary) option is giving Brandon Jennings a max to come here. That's probably what we're looking at in free agency.

http://hoopshype.com/2016/03/05/nba-fre ... nt-guards/

A point guard is going to have to come through a trade this year. PG value is going to be at an all time high this summer with a terrible free agent crop and weak PG draft. Probably best to wait until summer of 2017 for a chance at a star. The 2017 draft has 6 PG's in the top 15 overall players at this point. 2017 free agent PG's include Steph Curry, Westbrook, Chris Paul, Kyle Lowry and even a nice 2nd tier of Jrue and George Hill.

I'd be thrilled to walk out of the draft (if we get Lakers pick) with Ingram and Buddy or Murray. Then use OKC or Miami pick for a developmental PG like Wade Baldwin IV, Demetrius Jackson or Melo Trimble.
PSUPhilliesPhan
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby pacino » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:32 am

Jennings looks p bad in Orlando, fwiw
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 am

I like Clarkson. Lakers probably won't let him go without a fight, but you never know.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 am

can Buddy defend a little bit?

I don't think we can continue down the path of getting zero defense from our guards
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Sixers Archive