a Sixers six-pack - Towering Castles of Ale

Re: a Sixers six-pack - Towering Castles of Ale

Postby Grotewold » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:24 am

pacino wrote:
Ric Bucher wrote:“While the Philadelphia 76ers are expected to make Simmons the No. 1 pick, they are looking to potentially move Jahlil Okafor for the No. 3 pick in order to be able to take [Providence point guard] Kris Dunn."

There we go
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 am

The Sixers will hold their fourth pre-draft workout at their practice facility on Thursday morning, taking a look at Isaia Cordinier, Alex Caruso, Daniel Hamilton, Brandon Austin, Rosco Allen and Alex Poythress.
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:41 am

From Bodner's article in the context of possibly trading Okafor:

Patience for player evaluations was never guaranteed. There’s a real, tangible benefit to making evaluations early, to arriving at a conclusion before league-wide consensus has caught up. It’s part of the reason why the Michael Carter-Williams trade was such a success.

There’s a cloud of optimism around young players. It’s treated almost as fate that their weaknesses will be corrected. “Once he corrects that jump shot, he’s going to be an impact player”. “Once he gets in shape, his defensive rotations will improve”. “Once he’s gotten more experience under his belt, his defensive recognition will improve”.

Except, that’s not always the case. Not every jump shot improves. Not every poor defender improves to being a positive defensive presence.

Really, when people say “be patient with Ben Simmons”, what they mean is “I have more confidence he will improve his potential fatal flaw than you do”, or “I don’t think his flaw is as damaging as you do”. Those may or may not be true, and to be honest, it’s a topic that has mostly been beaten to death. My point here is that patience, by itself, isn’t necessarily the right course of action. The key is in the correctness of the evaluation.

Last year we drafted Jahlil Okafor who, for much of the season, was the consensus #1 pick. This year we have the #1 pick and the consensus #1 pick is Ben Simmons. So, just for fun, I changed two words: "Jahlil Okafor" to "Ben Simmons." I know, I know, it's far from a perfect analogy. But it was an intriguing exercise nonetheless.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 702 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:56 am

Not sure Dunn is the right selection but for the sake of it, we'd need a FA SG. Who's available?
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Grotewold » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:56 am

Nobody said be patient with Jahlil; his thing was he could step right in and score. There was hope his defense would improve, I guess, but no more so than any other guy's achilles heel.

The consensus rightly shifted from Okafor to Towns (and Russell is debatable). This year it soured greatly on Simmons yet he remains the clear #1 for most analysts.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 am

702 wrote:Not sure Dunn is the right selection but for the sake of it, we'd need a FA SG. Who's available?

Eric Gordon would seem to be a potential buy low guy that would be a perfect fit "If He's Healthy".

Basketball-reference also says his nickname is the Hobbit. Gotta like that.

Though I'd be somewhat disappointed if we only got Dunn for Okafor. I'd expect it to come with one of the Boston guards or Knight, either of which you're getting another starting caliber guard.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:09 am

Chad Ford on the Fanatic 97.5 in a few
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby slugsrbad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:11 am

I don't think having Dunn with Simmons maximizes either. The Bodcast has me convinced the best move might be to trade for 3/4 and then trading down to get someone else like Valentine or Baldwin (who they also convinced me is the best draft PG for Simmons).
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad

Postby jamiethekiller » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:15 am

Baldwin would be great with Simmons. more of an off-ball PG who can shoot the 3. draft payton to be your SG.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:15 am

Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby laf837 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 am

MoBettle wrote:
702 wrote:Not sure Dunn is the right selection but for the sake of it, we'd need a FA SG. Who's available?

Eric Gordon would seem to be a potential buy low guy that would be a perfect fit "If He's Healthy".

Though I'd be somewhat disappointed if we only got Dunn for Okafor. I'd expect it to come with one of the Boston guards or Knight, either of which you're getting another starting caliber guard.

Yes, Gordon is my roll the dice 1 and 1 FA target.
I don't think the C's would give up more than the 3 (and maybe some other ddraft picks) for Jah.
laf837
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Youseff » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 am

the crap good is a 4 going to do if you draft Simmons? it's the same non-ejaculating Hinkie situation that we've been trying to resolve for 900 pages of Sixers threads on this board.

that said, will go on record as thinking Dunn for Oak ends up being a pretty bad trade, even if it is a functional one.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:32 am

(in reference to drafting Bender)
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:35 am

I think the thought with bender is (1) he doesn't need playing time right away because he's so raw so you actually can give yourself time to see how things fit (v. You can't play okafor 10 minutes a game) and (2) benders style of play is an excellent fit with Simmons versus okafor being a really bad one.

Though I agree it would be a boner crusher.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joe table » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:41 am

No bender. Enough already
joe table

Postby pacino » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:42 am

Bend it like Hinkie
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Youseff » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:43 am

MoBettle wrote:I think the thought with bender is (1) he doesn't need playing time right away because he's so raw so you actually can give yourself time to see how things fit (v. You can't play okafor 10 minutes a game) and (2) benders style of play is an excellent fit with Simmons versus okafor being a really bad one.

Though I agree it would be a boner crusher.

math still sucks

96 minutes

Embiid 22
Noel 22
Saric 22
Simmons 22
Bender 8
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Napalm » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:43 am

Dunn is such an uninspiring choice
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby pacino » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:43 am

laf837 wrote:
MoBettle wrote:

Yes, Gordon is my roll the dice 1 and 1 FA target.
I don't think the C's would give up more than the 3 (and maybe some other ddraft picks) for Jah.

I get the sense we want some 2nd rounders and one of those late 1st to be a mid 1st
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby slugsrbad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:44 am

Bender was fine if we only had 3, or if we had the Lakers pick at 4, but he's not the payoff for an Oak trade.
Quick Google shows that GoGo is wrong with regards to the Kiwi and the Banana.

Doll Is Mine wrote:This Ellen DeGeneres look alike on ESPN is annoying. Who the hell is he?
slugsrbad

PreviousNext

Return to Sixers Archive