Summer Sizzlers: JoJo Awakens

Re: Summer Sizzlers: JoJo Awakens

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:24 pm

threecount wrote:Tom Moore reporting NBA source telling him Saric not coming this season..

But the combination of all the money Saric would be leaving on the table by not playing a third season in Turkey and the Sixers picking Ben Simmons, who also is a power forward, No. 1 in the June 23 draft, has a league source believing it's not going to happen.
"He makes 1.5 million Euros ($1.66 million US) playing in Turkey," said the source Thursday night. "It's a comfortable living. Why come over and risk that and go back to the rookie-scale contract when you've completed two-thirds of not having to be on the rookie scale? This is before the draft."
If the 22-year-old Saric joins the Sixers this year, he'd be due $9 million over the next four seasons based on being the No. 12 overall pick. If he plays a third season in Turkey, he wouldn't be subject to the rookie scale and would probably make more than twice that amount.
By comparison, forward Nikola Mirotic chose to play three years in Spain after the Bulls selected him No. 26 in 2011, resulting in Mirotic signing a three-year, $17 million deal with Chicago in 2014. Had he come over after two seasons in Spain, he'd have been on the books for four years and $5.2 million.
"(Saric's parents are) counting every dollar because this is their gravy train," the source said.
The addition of the 19-year-old Simmons, who, like Saric, can initiate the offense and handle the ball, would likely mean a reserve role for Saric.
"He's not coming over to be a backup," said the source, who could envision Saric asking for a trade if he does leave Turkey this summer. "Why would he come over now? How is he going to play?"
The source called Saric "not as athletic (as Simmons). He has a high IQ, but he's never going to be a star."

This source is speculating?

Saric has said like 50 times he's coming over. Then someone says he can make more money waiting. Then Saric says he's coming over again. Who knows.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 pm

I don't know what he's going to do, but giving up a lot of money and him not getting much PT because of our logjam can't be very appealing. I really believe if he thought he was going to get more minutes he'd come over this year despite the money. But to give up the money AND not get the chance to play has got to be rough.

I think he's waited this long to see what the team did in the draft and whether they could move Okafor and/or Noel. They may eventually do so, but it looks like Saric is going to have to make a decision now without knowing for sure it's going to happen.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:37 pm

I've been told he's a man and men stick to their word.
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:44 pm

I'd also want to just get the hell out of Turkey generally
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby threecount » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:45 pm

This is true
threecount
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby JFLNYC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Watch Christian Wood end up with GSW.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby bleh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:49 pm

we don't own any rights to Wood right?
bleh
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:49 pm

bleh wrote:we don't own any rights to Wood right?

no turned down his QO
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby td11 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:50 pm

If he keeps playing like this they should keep him over landry
td11
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Squire » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:55 pm

Feels like Moore knows exactly one NBA scout, who hates the Sixers AND yet spends an awful lot of time thinking about the Sixers.
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby BigEd76 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:42 am

BC:

“The Jerryd Bayless piece is something that we shot out of the gate with. We were looking to add a ball handling, combo guard that could play both positions, either the one or the two, but a shot maker. That was something we feel very comfortable with regarding what we have been able to do.”

“Adding the other pieces felt like almost completing a full picture. We wanted to add a pure point guard in Sergio Rodriguez, and also a defensive wing that can guard a couple of positions. Really what we did was give the coaches all the tools they need to address, whatever the situation calls for.

“You always want to get a complete player, but you are talking about a tough task when it comes to finding the perfect player. But what we feel like we will be adding is a couple of pieces that will really complement the pieces we have in place right now under contract.”
[On Saric:] “It is still in flux.”
“We are still at a point of an unknown in exactly what we have in Joel Embiid. It appears he is on target to be healthy for the start of the season and in a situation where he can play. Nobody expects him to jump into an NBA game, an NBA atmosphere and play an extensive amount of minutes.

“I think we are going to have to be very smart He is a rookie. He has never played an NBA game. Training camp and the preseason is going to be a great opportunity to know more; to not just see him scrimmage against his teammates, but to see him go against real live NBA bodies.”

“I have seen him go up and down in a full court situation. I have seen him do some things that get you excited about what the future can hold. At the same time, he is not in 100 percent basketball shape, and that is going to take some time. We are going to have to do it in a controlled environment so that you don’t get too far ahead of yourself in terms of some of the things he is going to be expecting from a competitive standpoint.

“It is one thing to scrimmage; it is another to play competitively in an NBA game. Once again we are not in a situation where we are going to run out there and throw him to the wolves. We have to go about it the right way.”
“There is time before the season starts to address that roster imbalance or top-heavy roster, but at the same time I have said all along we are not going to make a deal just to make a deal. We are not going to make a bad deal. We are going to look for an opportunity; if an opportunity presents itself to bring more balance to the equation. If we start the season the way, we are today it is a good problem to have in that we have three arguably starting capable centers.

“If we start the season the way we are today, there is a strong argument to be made that there are plenty of minutes to go around. But I am going to leave that up to the coaching staff, leave it up to the help of the players and the next couple of months. Again we will continue to pursue the things that will improve our roster. We are far from a complete team. Our intention is not just to become a playoff contender in the next couple years, but a championship contender. There are a lot of steps to take before we get there.”
BigEd76
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby pacino » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:25 am

If we start where we are today we have an illegal roster.
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby PhillyPhan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:40 am

pacino wrote:If we start where we are today we have an illegal roster.

It doesn't start today and we are only plus 1 with 2 contracts that we can opt out of that will compete against each other in camp in McConnell and Marshall. We're ok.
PhillyPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby pacino » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:42 am

PhillyPhan wrote:

It doesn't start today and we are only plus 1 with 2 contracts that we can opt out of that will compete against each other in camp in McConnell and Marshall. We're ok.

no, i agree. i was just being a literalist punk replying to this part of Bryan's statement:

If we start the season the way we are today
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby td11 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:53 am

PhillyPhan wrote:

I'd be kinda heartbroken if we didn't keep mcconnell
td11

Postby phillychuck » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:58 am

I don't think there is any chance we let McConnell go. He's a cheap, functional, back-up PG. And he's clearly one of the better players in the Utah SL. He's not hurting his chances.
Marquelle Fultz: (6/23) "My goal is to be the best player in the NBA."
Ben Simmons: (8/28) "My goal is to be the best in the league."
Don't fight, Embiid has this covered.
phillychuck
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:06 am

I didn't think he was an NBA player early last year. He's taken huge strides since then
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby CalvinBall » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:09 am

with his new hair he looks like the dude who sits in the cube over at work
CalvinBall

Postby pacino » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:09 am

a 3rd string PG that appears to make his shots a decent amount and has good passing skills can be pretty useful on this team. i would hope he's still here by the time the season starts
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:11 am

phillychuck wrote:I don't think there is any chance we let McConnell go. He's a cheap, functional, back-up PG. And he's clearly one of the better players in the Utah SL. He's not hurting his chances.

He's also pretty popular with his teammates and a great example of maxing your talent out.

As for those Collar quotes -- separate from the slimy way he took the throne, the guy is pretty much batting 1.000 with me. Even when he's talking to mouth breathers like Eskin, he always comes across really thoughtful and sharp.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Sixers Archive