Re: Waiting for Santa and Simmons: A Sixers Thread

Postby Grotewold » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:23 am

Nice to have a more publicly accountable GM at least
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:24 am

Jah had one injury and was slow to get back but that's been it.
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby 76erfan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:26 am

this situstion was totally avoidable and colangelo created the drama with no move of a big man
76erfan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby wwry » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:28 am

keep nerlen at all costs
ImageImageImageImage
wwry
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby pacino » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:43 am

Grotewold wrote:Nice to have a more publicly accountable GM at least

Scam Hinkie is probably sipping his lattes on the coast right now!
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby laf837 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:53 am

The sixers had 2 years to figure this out. two years to go through the scenarios and identify workable solutions. They had to understand the situation in the event all 3 were ready to play. They had to know there was no way for Brown to make it work. They need to acknowledge that they lost and will not get fair value in any trade of Jah or NN. Just incredibly disappointing that it's coming to this.
laf837
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Warszawa » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:59 am

ReadingPhilly wrote:Embiid, Simmons and stauskas are the franchise. Get the rest of them out of town and build this thing.

Stauskas?
Fight This Generation
Warszawa
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:07 am

Gotta have somebody to make sure the other team's SG can score at will.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MoBettle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:08 am

Derek Bodner ‏@DerekBodnerNBA 2h2 hours ago
Embiid: "I thought we had a bad defensive game. I'm the type of guy, if I play defense, I want everybody around me to do the same."

This was in response to a question on how he thought playing with Okafor went compared to Wednesday.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby phillychuck » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:28 am

JFLNYC wrote:

And, by the way, for all the good Hinkie has done by leaving them in a great position in the upcoming draft, he also has to bear a chunk of the responsibility for the situation they find themselves in now. Drafting the BPA sounds great in theory but, in practice, when you draft 3 centers in a row it's not so easy to move one or two of them for full value.

Yeah, OK, but no one knows how Hinkie would have played things draft night or over the off-season. Maybe he gets a decent trade for both of them. Just because Collars couldn't move 'em doesn't mean Hinkie couldn't have.

And, by the way, we need to have patience with guys playing together. Two games is a really small sample.

And, let me beat the drum one more time--a lot of this is on Brown. He needs to motivate Jah on defense, coach him up, and figure out how to have two of Jah, Noel, and Embiid on the court together playing well on both ends of the court. That's his freakin' job. It's not completely on the players. Skill-sets aren't fixed in stone.
Last edited by phillychuck on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marquelle Fultz: (6/23) "My goal is to be the best player in the NBA."
Ben Simmons: (8/28) "My goal is to be the best in the league."
Don't fight, Embiid has this covered.
phillychuck
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Napalm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:30 am

MoBettle wrote:Derek Bodner ‏@DerekBodnerNBA 2h2 hours ago
Embiid: "I thought we had a bad defensive game. I'm the type of guy, if I play defense, I want everybody around me to do the same."

This was in response to a question on how he thought playing with Okafor went compared to Wednesday.

two games in a row that Embiid has thrown shade at Oak. This is a silver lining for me.
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Grotewold » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:36 am

spike

"It is sort of a problem that the Sixers have too many centers. It's a much bigger one that one of them is Okafor. Podcast in a bit!"
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby phillychuck » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41 am

Grotewold wrote:spike

"It is sort of a problem that the Sixers have too many centers. It's a much bigger one that one of them is Okafor. Podcast in a bit!"

I love Spike and Mike, but Spike's Okafor takes are getting tedious.
Marquelle Fultz: (6/23) "My goal is to be the best player in the NBA."
Ben Simmons: (8/28) "My goal is to be the best in the league."
Don't fight, Embiid has this covered.
phillychuck
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby MoBettle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:47 am

phillychuck wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:

And, by the way, for all the good Hinkie has done by leaving them in a great position in the upcoming draft, he also has to bear a chunk of the responsibility for the situation they find themselves in now. Drafting the BPA sounds great in theory but, in practice, when you draft 3 centers in a row it's not so easy to move one or two of them for full value.

Yeah, OK, but no one knows how Hinkie would have played things draft night or over the off-season. Maybe he gets a decent trade for both of them. Just because Collars couldn't move 'em doesn't mean Hinkie couldn't have.

And, by the way, we need to have patience with guys playing together. Two games is a really small sample.

And, let me beat the drum one more time--a lot of this is on Brown. He needs to motivate Jah on defense, coach him up, and figure out how to have two of Jah, Noel, and Embiid on the court together playing well on both ends of the court. That's his freakin' job. It's not completely on the players. Skill-sets aren't fixed in stone.

I'd be more inclined to be patient if this wasn't the way everyone predicted it would go before they tried it. It's been relatively ok on offense but Embiid is floating around the perimeter and Okafor is a walking layup line on the other end. They've played 48 minutes together at this point and have a net rating of -14.3 which is the worst of any two person lineup with Embiid besides an 8 minute run with Grant.
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Napalm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am

re: BB's rotations last night. I would have liked to see Noel in there with Illya and Saric when he instead put Ersan at the 5, but that white guy lineup + Cov seemed to bring them back into the game so I don't blame him much there. He was caught between winning and development. Still, he's gotta figure out a way to keep everybody happy while everybody is here though.
Napalm

Postby JFLNYC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:56 am

MoBettle wrote:
phillychuck wrote:
JFLNYC wrote:

I'd be more inclined to be patient if this wasn't the way everyone predicted it would go before they tried it. It's been relatively ok on offense but Embiid is floating around the perimeter and Okafor is a walking layup line on the other end. They've played 48 minutes together at this point and have a net rating of -14.3 which is the worst of any two person lineup with Embiid besides an 8 minute run with Grant.

Thank you. You can coach Okafor from now until eternity but if he's your rim protector with JoJo chasing stretch 4's on the perimeter it's a serious downgrade defensively and you're screwing with your franchise player the whole time.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby laf837 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Napalm wrote:re: BB's rotations last night. I would have liked to see Noel in there with Illya and Saric when he instead put Ersan at the 5, but that white guy lineup + Cov seemed to bring them back into the game so I don't blame him much there. He was caught between winning and development. Still, he's gotta figure out a way to keep everybody happy while everybody is here though.

I just don't think its possible for Brown to make anyone happy in this situation much less 3 guys. They are incompatible and BB doesn't have the wherewithal to be creative in his lineups and offensive and defensive sets. Untenable situation that will not get better and has deteriorated really fast
laf837
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby jamiethekiller » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:06 am

BB's lack of leadership is showing as well. He should have had a closed door meeting with the team by now to discuss the situation and what works and what will not work. People are going to complain if management leaves you in the lurch. Once management talks to you about the state of the team and what they want to achieve going forward then everyone will calm down. You're not going to have people throwing each under the bus every PC because they know whats in the cards for the future
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MoBettle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:11 am

jamiethekiller wrote:BB's lack of leadership is showing as well. He should have had a closed door meeting with the team by now to discuss the situation and what works and what will not work. People are going to complain if management leaves you in the lurch. Once management talks to you about the state of the team and what they want to achieve going forward then everyone will calm down. You're not going to have people throwing each under the bus every PC because they know whats in the cards for the future

How do you know he hasn't? He definitely had a meeting with Nerlens about it when he came back. If you read Nerlens' quotes he understands that Brown is in a tough situation and he blames management for putting him in it.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Squire » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:12 am

Is everyone convinced that Noel would be satisfied if *just* Okafor was traded? Think he'd be OK being second fiddle to Embiid?
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

PreviousNext

Return to Sixers Archive