In defense of Nerlens Noel: A Sixers thread

In defense of Nerlens Noel: A Sixers thread

Postby Youseff » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Noel is showing signs of psychology. In fact, he's suffering from the same ailment that afflicted me: Sam Hinkie broke his brain.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Re: In defense of Nerlens Noel: A Sixers thread

Postby Napalm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:22 pm

this is what happens when you no longer have the finest kush available
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Youseff » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:36 pm

prediction: it's going to take us another 3 or 5 years to be respectable. right now we're in the Clippers of the 90s model where we have talent but the youth, lack of cohesion & poor chemistry result in #$!&@ squad.

Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Nerlens
got drafted;
missed the first year of his contract;
was put on a dog crap team as a rookie thanks to the team using two lotto picks that summer on guys who weren't going to play yet;
played outstanding as a rookie and got much better once Ish Smith was brought in;
watched Ish Smith leave and the team fail to replace him;
watched Okafor get drafted;
got pushed out of position to accommodate an inferior player and put into an awful situation in his second year;
came into a contract year off of an injury with two other guys that the team has a lot invested in playing the same position as him and knowing that he and Okafor don't work together.

I'm surprised he hasn't shot up The Center yet.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:39 pm

good post, but I'd like to add that I was never a fan of the flat top and I think he looks cooler now.
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:42 pm

I liked the flat top.

I also liked Hinkie, but I don't think how much of a mistake the Okafor pick was can be overstated. We're still in a good position as a team thanks to Embiid, Simmons, and future picks, but we missed out on getting a contributor with a top three pick last year and it probably destroyed any chance of Noel working out here.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby phillychuck » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:50 pm

I liked Hinkie, too.

And, according to most people with closer knowledge of the Sixers than I have, the Okafor pick was pushed on Hinkie.

But before we conclude Okafor can't play, or can't play with NN or JE, we need to give it more time, and we'd also, honestly, need to see them with a different coach in a different system.

Of course, life isn't logical and we'll probably trade NN and JO for almost nothing. Still like where we are if JE stays healthy.
Marquelle Fultz: (6/23) "My goal is to be the best player in the NBA."
Ben Simmons: (8/28) "My goal is to be the best in the league."
Don't fight, Embiid has this covered.
phillychuck
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Youseff » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:55 pm

phillychuck wrote:I liked Hinkie, too.

And, according to most people with closer knowledge of the Sixers than I have, the Okafor pick was pushed on Hinkie.

But before we conclude Okafor can't play, or can't play with NN or JE, we need to give it more time, and we'd also, honestly, need to see them with a different coach in a different system.

Of course, life isn't logical and we'll probably trade NN and JO for almost nothing. Still like where we are if JE stays healthy.

this is such coping mechanism bs. it was reported by one NY Post writer who has no track record of breaking stories or knowing anything about the Sixers. people need to come to terms with Hinkie making a mistake there.
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby joe table » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:03 pm

U guys are so hyperbolic about okafor. It's quite annoying. Reading the last two games threads you'd like he was 2-15. He's playing well

Doesn't the argument that it was ridiculous to draft Okafor given Noel also hold for drafting embiid given Noel, if you guys are so hyped on him? I mean how strong a stance do you want to take here

Also at least half of that Noel punch list also applies for Okafor (crappy team, no help, no pg, better with ish)...I'd also add no spacing which hurts them both but maybe oak more as a post guy)

Could of had henzonja
joe table
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Gimpy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Oak doesn't fit the modern NBA (how many teams would he actually start or get significant minutes for?) and Embiid's pushed out of position when they're in the game together. We haven't seen Noel and Embiid together yet. If Noel has a negative impact on Embiid's game the way that Okafor does, then they shouldn't play together and we should be looking pretty hard to move him immediately. I just don't think he will. He's also probably a better backup to Embiid since he can anchor the defense, which is the most important thing that a center can do.

Also, I didn't say that Okafor shouldn't be pissed about his situation here. Noel is pissed about Okafor being here; Embiid seems less than thrilled with Okafor being here; Okafor can be pissed about either or both of those guys too.

I'd much rather have Hezonja than Okafor right now. We'd be rid of the logjam and it'd be interesting to see how Hezonja performs with consistent minutes.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:19 pm

When Okafor is in the game opponents drive the lane faster than Tractor Traylor to a buffet line.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby joe table » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:29 pm

The fact that you are sticking with the hezonja thing is p much my entire point re hyperbole.

Whatever, keep flaming away and I'll ignore it
joe table

Postby joe table » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:32 pm

JFLNYC wrote:When Okafor is in the game opponents drive the lane faster than Tractor Traylor to a buffet line.

Yes but no one would dare to try to drive by Rodriguez, McConnell and Stauskus with Noe in there

Okafors block rate up significantly too BTW per 100 possessions
joe table

Postby Napalm » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:39 pm

I think most of the devaluing being done on Okafor is based on fit. You've finally found the guy that's gonna lead it all in Embiid, everything should be built around him. Noel remains to be seen
Napalm

Postby Youseff » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Senor Mesa is fired up today. I dig it. I don't see a clear role for Oak but the bashing is too much, too smug. Not necessarily here but definitely on Liberty Ballers, Eskin & their legions.
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby JFLNYC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:46 pm

No place for humor here apparently either.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Anyone discuss the idea thrown out of Nerlens + Sergio to Portland for ET and Cleveland's 2018 #1?
BigEd76

Postby phillychuck » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Youseff wrote:
phillychuck wrote:I liked Hinkie, too.

this is such coping mechanism bs. it was reported by one NY Post writer who has no track record of breaking stories or knowing anything about the Sixers. people need to come to terms with Hinkie making a mistake there.

Bods has hinted at it repeatedly. TBF, he's never claimed he KNEW how it came down. But he can speak for himself.
Marquelle Fultz: (6/23) "My goal is to be the best player in the NBA."
Ben Simmons: (8/28) "My goal is to be the best in the league."
Don't fight, Embiid has this covered.
phillychuck
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby joe table » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:55 pm

JFLNYC wrote:No place for humor here apparently either.

U don't go at one of my personal heroes and individual role models Tractor Traylor like that

One a separate note ucla vs Osu in a few mins, should watch this lonzo ball that PSUP is raving about.

Heard interesting background on ball that he played in this super progressive hs offense where he was greenlignited to jack from 30 ft each game and would customarily throw like 4-5 full court baseball passes a game. Also trapped all game. Like the equivalent of B12 style spread offense in football. People thought that would hurt his transition but he's doing well (and ucla's offense has been super productive and high tempo)
joe table

Postby Gimpy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:59 pm

BigEd76 wrote:Anyone discuss the idea thrown out of Nerlens + Sergio to Portland for ET and Cleveland's 2018 #1?

I think this trade would give me a heart attack. I'll send Tractor Traylor everyone's regards.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Next

Return to Sixers Archive