In defense of Nerlens Noel: A Sixers thread

Re: In defense of Nerlens Noel: A Sixers thread

Postby JFLNYC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Apparently the Raptors, Kings and Nuggets are interested in Millsap. If it's the Raptors I could see BC nosing around to be part of a 3-way deal.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby threecount » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:53 pm

BigEd76 wrote:
threecount wrote:Wojo says Sixers interested in Milsap, but to keep him, not as just a tool in a three-team trade..

Apparently it was in the original article but the Sixers (and New Orleans) were removed

grrrrrrrrr.....

Either way, I still feel like Bryan Colangelo wants to make his own stamp on the organization and get rid of the " Hinkie-stigma"...I'm sure he is trying to move Okafor or another piece if he could..
threecount
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Gimpy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Napalm wrote:what's the reasoning behind that as far as translating to the nba game besides bro science

I'd heard it bounced around a bunch and started actually paying attention to it in the past year. This is an excerpt from a Kevin Pelton Insider Article:

It might seem crazy that anything but the college 3-point shooting percentage would help predict NBA 3-point shooting. But history is striking in this regard. Consider this: 13 players in Sports-Reference.com's college database (dating to 1997-98) shot at least 42 percent from 3-point range with at least 250 career attempts and have attempted at least 500 career 3-pointers as pros. A similar-sized group of players made at least 85 percent of their free throws on the same number of attempts. Lo and behold, the two groups -- which overlap somewhat -- have shot almost the same percentage from 3-point range in the NBA.

From a statistical standpoint, it makes sense that free throws might convey important information about a player's overall shooting ability. After all, a player's free throw percentage is much more stable season to season. NBA players who have attempted between 100 and 200 free throws in consecutive seasons have a .785 correlation between their free throw percentage in the two years. (Correlation measures the linear relationship between two numbers, with 1 representing one-to-one correlation and zero indicating no linear relationship at all.) The year-to-year correlation in 3-point percentage among players with the same number of attempts is just .313.

So if we take the full sample of players with at least 250 career 3-point and free throw attempts in the Sports-Reference.com NCAA database and at least 500 career 3s attempted in the NBA, college free throw percentage actually correlates slightly better (.443) to NBA 3-point percentage than college 3-point percentage (.429). Neither is a particularly good predictor of 3-point shooting in the NBA, but together they're stronger than either stat individually, explaining about a quarter of the variation in what players shoot.

It's not a perfect indicator, but I think it's a red flag if a guy can't hit foul shots in college.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Would you trade Noel-Covington-Lakers Pick for Wiggins? The Lakers pick could yield us a high upside wing on a rookie scale deal and Noel looks pretty good behind/beside Embiid and Wiggins is going to get paid next year, but I'd do it.

I guess the real question is how much more would you kick in to get the deal done
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:05 pm

feel like that's a lot to give up so we'd probably "lose" the trade, but him slotted at the 2/3 as a sharp-shooter/slasher role next to Embiid and Ben would make for a pretty sick club.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby 702 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:06 pm

I thought we soured on Wiggy?
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Youseff » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm never gonna be crazy sour on a guy like him at age 21.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:16 pm

Rolling out of bed getting 20/1/1
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MoBettle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Noel just doesn't have a lot of value on the open market. I love the guy and would rather trade Okafor for a pair of socks than Noel for a so-so player, but I think Wiggins could be viewed as a cornerstone. Obviously, Noel isn't worth Wiggins so I'd think the hypo would depend on how you feel about that Lakers pick, which is the real centerpiece of our package.

Cov is a throw in to me. Nice player, but he's not a deal breaker to me by any means.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:03 am

Gimpy wrote:Noel just doesn't have a lot of value on the open market. I love the guy and would rather trade Okafor for a pair of socks than Noel for a so-so player, but I think Wiggins could be viewed as a cornerstone. Obviously, Noel isn't worth Wiggins so I'd think the hypo would depend on how you feel about that Lakers pick, which is the real centerpiece of our package.

Cov is a throw in to me. Nice player, but he's not a deal breaker to me by any means.

Love the spirit of this deal, but my guess is the Wolves don't deal Wiggins unless they are getting a top lottery talent. My guess is it would take our pick in place of the Lakers pick, and at that point, I probably feel as though we are overpaying. I do love Wiggins upside though. I would think about it long and hard...
SteveJeltzPhanClub
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Grotewold » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 am

Youseff wrote:do you guys think Lonzo could play with Ben & Embiid?

Bod has you covered with his latest Sixers Beat. Crip note: catch and shoot prowess tips it to yes

Sounds like Jackson is a poor fit here. Maybe some trade down potential if he keeps balling out? Be great to see Giles climb up to Lakers pick territory as well.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JFLNYC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 am

Unfortunately Jackson doesn't shoot well enough to be a good fit here. Fultz, Ball and Monk, yes. Smith, probably.
Jamie

"A man who tells lies . . . merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."
JFLNYC
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 am

I wonder if Collar is tempted to trade our pick (whichever one is highest)
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby MoBettle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:28 am

He is the Man of Action nothing is off the table.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:31 am

Gluten isn't allowed near his table
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:40 am

Brian Seltzer (aka B Fizz) wrote:Stauskas stats last 2 games...
•Team-best +19.9 net rtg when on floor
•Used at PG for 25 / 61 total min; Sixers +24 pts with him at PG
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:41 am

Thought Dunn ate him up on defense.
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Gimpy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:45 am

I hope Nik keeps it up. I wonder if he'd benefit from being mentored by Redick when we inevitably sign him this summer.
Gimpy
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby MoBettle » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 am

Gimpy wrote:I hope Nik keeps it up. I wonder if he'd benefit from being mentored by Redick when we inevitably sign him this summer.

Will make him a better podcaster
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Sixers Archive