Raise It Up, Show Me Your Kitties: 76ers Thread

Re: Raise It Up, Show Me Your Kitties: 76ers Thread

Postby Napalm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Grotewold wrote:
laf837 wrote:
Grotewold wrote:Bodner said there are rumors around the league that Simmons doesn't want to play this year because he won't get rookie of the year bonuses from Nike. I have a hard time believing that at face value, but when you consider how image conscious he seems, the benefits of a full offseason program before getting out there, playing it safe with the foot, that it's almost March anyway...

Plus embiid injury uncertainty, playoffs unrealistic...
Honestly wouldn't put it past him. He's definitely Ben Simmons, Inc. Better work on that broke-ass jumper, breh.

Frankly I'd rather it be this than the Sixers jerking him around

i'm ready to buy into the idea of a clean sheet for Ben and the conspiracy that it has to do with a combination of things led by his career image. There is also something special going on with the chemistry of an Embiid-less squad. Simmons is seamless, but flipping the style for him amidst this seasons progress might not make so much sense. For the first time, it looks like Brown can coach em up. If they set conspicuous late dates, we will complain long enough until the seasons nearly over and give up/in. Everyone wants a piece of the Sixers #$!&@ and philly fans will fall on their sword of their opinion, but they're not going anywhere.
Napalm
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby MoBettle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:30 pm

- Goodman
Philadelphia 76ers coach Brett Brown said he expects to have rookie and number one overall pick Ben Simmons on the court in a game this season.

"Our plan is to still see him on the court, playing games," Brown told ESPN on Wednesday. "We just don't know when."

"I fully expect him to play this season," he added. "He thinks that, and he's motivated to play."
Two days later I get a text back that says I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby mtcal » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm

It feels like the 76ers are going to that dangerous place where they're starting to respond to fan feedback. There's a degree to which that's OK and then there's the old 'as soon as you're listening to the fans, you're sitting with them'.
Not everything I think is something I should say.
mtcal
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby laf837 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Gonzo's piece on the ringer site was a nice synopsis of my current feelings.
laf837
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Squire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I don't know. I can't say I have much respect for a competitor who would rather not compete right now so he can win a stupid award next year. I guess I'm out of touch.
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 pm

I'd imagine if they were destined for the playoffs he would come back.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Squire wrote:I don't know. I can't say I have much respect for a competitor who would rather not compete right now so he can win a stupid award next year. I guess I'm out of touch.

I wouldn't blame him just yet, may not be true. just a rumor.
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm at one of those bars where everyone is wearing a Celtics jersey and has a stupid accent
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Squire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Youseff wrote:
Squire wrote:I don't know. I can't say I have much respect for a competitor who would rather not compete right now so he can win a stupid award next year. I guess I'm out of touch.

I wouldn't blame him just yet, may not be true. just a rumor.

Agreed. My comment assumes that it is true which is not determined. Was just saying that I think that theory would bother me even more than the Sixers' stealth tank/deception theory.
Squire
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Bodner had a good point that all the cloak and dagger bs opens the door for this kind of conjecture
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby gr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:I'm at one of those bars where everyone is wearing a Celtics jersey and has a stupid accent

tell the pogues tribute band to play louder
"You practicing for the Hit Parade?"
gr
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Youseff » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Houshphandzadeh wrote:Bodner had a good point that all the cloak and dagger bs opens the door for this kind of conjecture

just make some friends. you could open with, "ever notice how all these darkies are getting a bit too cocky?"
This is what a real tenderoni likes to do for you
Youseff
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I tried at the first bar. they asked me something about which Order of Odin I belonged to and I got the hell outta there
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby PrattRules » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Ask 'em "what's your major, dude?"
"Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza
PrattRules
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Philly the Kid » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Sixer brass needs to get off WIP.

I don't care if there's one more semi-tank. I believe that the core is young enough (Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Noel) that they can grow together. This year is a lost cause. And while Lebron and Kyrie are still dominating the eastern conference and GS is a super-team - let's just stay the course.

I still don't think B Col is the master-mind to work the roster to perfection but just keep the core together for a couple years and good things will come regardless.

A lot of the radio mouth breathers say Nerlens isn't worth a max contract. I don't really know? I don't know the financial cap side of things with Noel in his 4th year, Embiid in his 3rd and Simmons a rookie. That's a lot of loot - but my goal would be to have them all healthy and ready to compete for next year. Just enough work in the summer and pre-season to get people sharp, master the system - but the focus should be on next year.

Okafor was simply an insurance policy and I understand with Embiid then (and still now) uncertain if it's a Sam Bowie/Greg Oden situation - and Okafor is very young. He can be a legitimate piece of someone's puzzle but right now the market is not good. We're not getting a top 3 pick for him, and probably not a top 10. I don't want a big contract back for a guy in his 2nd year on his rookie deal. They could just do nothing. Let him get 5-10minutes a game and ride the pine. He's not expensive yet really. Everyone is obsessed with moving guys - but someone will need a big at some point.

I'm open to get value, but don't just give him away because you don't have to. We suffered a lot to get #6 #3 #3 #1 in 4 consecutive drafts. Don't be the Clippers of yesteryear - and just give up on guys and trade them for nothing. All 4 of these guys are still very young. Just be patient.

That's where I''m at. I like the scrappy other guys Cov and Holmes and TJ. If we had a 3 pointer marxman - a slasher/scorer - and once Ben does his Magic J inpersonations - and if Embiid becomes Olajuwon 2.0, we'll have our super-star to build around in a league thin on super-star 5's just in time for Lebron to get old and lose a step and be more injury prone and GS can't keep that 4 together forever either...

2017-2018 is the year we see them all together, hopefully, healthy - and then see what's taking shape - and if we can be a 7th or 8th seed and get some experience.

It's nice to see the Sixer's "win" games again. I'm not asking them to stop playing hard and tank again. But let Embiid rest and let Simmons wait til next year, and keep Nerlens and his above average D, and if you can't get fair value for Okafor then just keep him too. He can get traded next year or in the summer or whatever -- I don't know when he can be moved after trade deadline but I'm sure there are options down the line.

You can't teach 6'11" with that body. He has some skills. He's what 22? Who he is at 28 could be a valuable piece of some playoff team. Don't take pennies on the dollar.
Philly the Kid
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jamiethekiller » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm

http://www.deepishthoughts.com/kaisers- ... mcconnell/

crazy long, but good, article on TJ. at the end he starts to compare Lonzo Ball with him and his ability to pass/create but has a much better shooting profile.
jamiethekiller
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby The Savior » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Lakers getting roasted
On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how pissed is he?
The Savior
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Suns beating Lakers not good.
heyeaglefn
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 am

I'll credit Smallwod for consistency in this takedown of Colangelo

The 7th grade writing caliber, less so
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby pacino » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:36 am

HE READS THE MESSAGE BOARDS
thephan wrote:pacino's posting is one of the more important things revealed in weeks.
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Sixers Archive