Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Disco Stu » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:12 am

Interesting factoid of the night:

Cole Hamels and Brett Myers:

5IP 7H 1BB 4K 4ER

Durbin and Geary and Romero and Gordon and Mesa and Condrey:

9IP 4H 2BB 6K 0ER

um, wtf?
Check The Good Phight, you might learn something.
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby FTN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:22 am

Let's see how Mets fans felt after the loss tonight.

From MetsBlog

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

The Mets (83–67) lost to the Nationals (68–83) by the score of 9 to 8 in Washington DC tonight.

For a recap and boxscore, go to Yahoo! Sports.

…this team just isn’t going to make it easy on us, are they…

…okay, so, they had their team meeting, and Willie Randolph addressed his players in private…now what sould they do…

…look, although they stranded eight men on base tonight, the offense also put up seven runs…seven…i mean, what else can they do…and so, here’s the thing, all the team meetings, all the managerial tirades, all the hyperbole and talk about emotion and passion and ‘wanting it,’ etc, is only as good as the meatball being thrown over the plate from John Maine, or Scott Schoeneweis…

…sure, the previous two days the Mets made several mental mistakes…but, in addition to that, the pitching has just been awful…and it continued tonight…

…it’s a shame, too, because the rest of the team looked good…they actually played a good game, offensively and defensively…the pitching was just awful…

…it was exhilarating how pressure-packed this game was, for a team in first place, playing a last place team, in September, with 12 games left in the year…i mean, it felt like a playoff game, because that’s how bad we all wanted to win it…you…me…the team…Gary Cohen…every one…i mean, David Newhan was spotted in the dugout on his knees praying…

…yet, they lost…

…i will not lament, though…they played well, looked alive, made a strong push in the ninth, but fell short…the pitching, though, the pitching is the problem…and no number of team meetings or flipped buffet tables will help that right now…they just need to execute and find their groove…

From Amazin'Avenue

We need to get about 8 runs.

Keep Lastings Milledge Free
by DocMets16 on Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 07:15:15 PM EDT
[ Parent ]

Damn it

The Phils just tied their game.

that sucked

I have no appetite for the GourMets cookbook.

Sure Looks Like It

The Phillies just went up in the 10th and this team is playing like they deserve to lose it. This is awful and frankly embarassing. It is one thing to just plain suck like they did in 2002-04, it is completely another thing to totally choke which is what is going on now. This team has lacked the killer instinct all year and it really shows now.

killer instinct

what the #$!&@

criticize the pitching, it's sucked

criticize willie, he's made some weird decisions

but killer instinct?! hahahahah

This team didn't win 5 in a row until Sept. It keeps going on these slides. The errors the last few games. This team has these sleepwalking moments and has had far too many of them. Last year they had the killer instinct - they put teams away but that just isn't happening this year. They are lucky to have kept 1st place with the up and down play they have exhibited this year. Sorry you don't agree but I see it as killer instinct.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby FTN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:24 am

FTN
list sheriff

Postby meatball » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:30 am

And I thought our fans were too hard hard on Charlie...
meatball
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby FTN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:33 am

But they didn't win. Another meeting on Wednesday won't work.

Glavine glumly suggested: "We might need a little help."

Not to contradict his teammate, Wright said: "We have to get through this ourselves."

From the SNY forums

There is something palpably lacking in John Maines personality. At least as far as I can tell.

He is very laid back, and seemingly under control of his emotions (except when he undergoes periods of wildness). Then things get a bit out of hand. But I blame this on his youth.

However, I don't see the eye of the tiger in his eyes. I don't see that "determination" to excel that I see in some other pitchers.

Anyody else see the same thing?

Please keep in mind that I opened this thread by saying, "Yes, we lost again and it hurts..."

I'm not overlooking or downplaying the fact that we lost a very winnable game to a very beatable team. But I was drawing attention to the fact that there were some positives to take out of this game that we hadn't seen in a while. We were we good in all phases of the game except pitching, whereas before tonight we STUNK in all ohases of the game. To me, that is progress.

The first step to stopping this slide is to get back to good habits and play well, and we did that. The next step is to play well AND pitch well and win. That comes tomorrow. As for who we lost to, Willie said at this time of year, it doesn't matter who the opponent is, losing hurts regardless. I agree with him.

I'm not looking at us playing well tonight as a moral victory. I'm looking at it as real progress that bodes well for the homestretch. If we continue what we started tonight, we'll be ok.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby VoxOrion » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 am

I am in awe of all of you - hundred and how ever many pages and a game that didn't end until 1:30 am on a Tuesday.
“There are no cool kids. Just people who have good self-esteem and people who blame those people for their own bad self-esteem. “
VoxOrion
Site Admin

Postby Disco Stu » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:53 am

VoxOrion wrote:I am in awe of all of you - hundred and how ever many pages and a game that didn't end until 1:30 am on a Tuesday.

I think you misspelled Wednesday.
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Fusilli Jerry » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:35 am

A study in contrast:

Fusilli Jerry
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby PSUPhilliesPhan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:01 am

I would like to note that after watching his at bat in the 13th inning last night I think Abe Nunez is the worst offensive player I have seen in my 26 years on this earth, it is unreal.
PSUPhilliesPhan
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby 1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:03 am

this all happened
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby LongDrive » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:05 am

It's always great to go fall asleep when your team is losing, and wake up to find out that, not only did they win, they gained a game on the Mets!!!!!
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby 1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:16 am

quitter
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Philssj » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 am

PSUPhilliesPhan wrote:I would like to note that after watching his at bat in the 13th inning last night I think Abe Nunez is the worst offensive player I have seen in my 26 years on this earth, it is unreal.

Abe Nunez is the girl on the coed softball that is put together in your office. Everyone moves in and plays an infield position on him.
My quick smells like French Toast
Philssj
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Disco Stu » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:26 am

Philssj wrote:
PSUPhilliesPhan wrote:I would like to note that after watching his at bat in the 13th inning last night I think Abe Nunez is the worst offensive player I have seen in my 26 years on this earth, it is unreal.

Abe Nunez is the girl on the coed softball that is put together in your office. Everyone moves in and plays an infield position on him.

Nothing like starting off the morning with a nice misogynistic comment. Well done friend!
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby seke2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 am

Disco Stu wrote:
Philssj wrote:Abe Nunez is the Disco Stu on the coed softball that is put together in your office. Everyone moves in and plays an infield position on him.

Nothing like starting off the morning with a nice misogynistic comment. Well done friend!

FTQP. Better?
Letting Roy Halladay loose against the National League this year was like locking a hungry wolf inside a garage full of kittens. - Neyer
seke2
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby The Red Tornado » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:29 am

seke2 wrote:
Disco Stu wrote:
Philssj wrote:Abe Nunez is the Disco Stu on the coed softball that is put together in your office. Everyone moves in and plays an infield position on him.

FTQP. Better?

Nah, now it's it's anti-semitic
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby philliesr98 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:40 am

went to bed at 4-4..... 1 game out the win column, yesssssa

who pitched the 14
philliesr98
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby philliesr98 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:43 am

wow, mesa pitched two hitless...... what is going on....
philliesr98
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:05 am

philliesr98 wrote:went to bed at 4-4..... 1 game out the win column, yesssssa

who pitched the 14

kelvin jmiinez for them

condrey for the phillies
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Game Threads