Rolling Pat Burrell Lost At-Bats Thread

Rolling Pat Burrell Lost At-Bats Thread

Postby ReadingPhilly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:35 pm

For better or worse, let's keep track of how many times we get to see So Taguchi or someone else hit after Burrell is lifted for running or defense in the sixth inning.
User avatar
ReadingPhilly
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 47921
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:36 pm

This is getting ridiculous. Even though he plays fewer innings than any other starter, he's kicking ass in ever offensive category. The off chance that his slightly below par fielding costs a bit is far offset by the fact that he's a run producing machine.

LET PAT PLAY!
If someone asks you to keep a secret, that secret is a lie.
User avatar
TenuredVulture
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 48602
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:16 am
Location: Magnolia, AR

Postby smitty » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:37 pm

Good idea. Also anyplays made in the OF that burrell couldn't have made. I don't think there will be too many so we shouldn't use up too much bandwith.
User avatar
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 40480
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:00 am
Location: Federal Way, WA --Spursville

Postby jp_chips » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Playing devil's advocate,isnt plausable to think that taking Pat out of the last 3 innings and maybe losing an at bat in the situation that we have a lead can keep burrell fresh at the 2nd half or the season.I know its frustrating at times and backfires sometimes,but i really think it did help Burrell's second half of the season last year.
User avatar
jp_chips
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 3887
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 am
Location: In Sarge's Cadillac

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:50 pm

In Charlie's defense, it was a totally acceptable move today. Burrell made the last out of the 7th, 5-2 lead, unlikely to get another meaningful AB (although certainly possible)
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
User avatar
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 40323
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 3:02 pm
Location: flapjacks

Postby ReadingPhilly » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:55 pm

I wanted to start it the other day but didn't get around to it. Today was about as accepting to the move as I'll come, as I don't think there is a point to removing him from the game at all.
User avatar
ReadingPhilly
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 47921
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:16 pm

I'd be more cool with it Pat wasn't killin' it right now
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 51382
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Coulda used his glove out there today
User avatar
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 62987
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm
Location: nascar victory

Postby jerseyhoya » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Woody wrote:I'd be more cool with it Pat wasn't killin' it right now


Or if his defensive replacement was good at defense.
User avatar
jerseyhoya
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 89154
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Southwest DC

Postby Woody » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:17 pm

did he #$!&@ up today?
User avatar
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 51382
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:56 pm
Location: captain of the varsity slut team

Postby philliesr98 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:19 pm

so droppy droppy fly ball
User avatar
philliesr98
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 9224
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: an island somewhere

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:28 pm

Since Burrell's swinging a hot bat, and Burrell :h:'s Shea...

Let's just say I'd be very upset with Cholly if this thread explodes over the next three days.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
User avatar
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet
 
Posts: 12571
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:51 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:47 pm

jp_chips wrote:Playing devil's advocate,isnt plausable to think that taking Pat out of the last 3 innings and maybe losing an at bat in the situation that we have a lead can keep burrell fresh at the 2nd half or the season.I know its frustrating at times and backfires sometimes,but i really think it did help Burrell's second half of the season last year.


Presumably, Pat will not hit .435 the rest of the season. I think there will be plenty of time to rest him if his average dips below, I dunno, .350.
If someone asks you to keep a secret, that secret is a lie.
User avatar
TenuredVulture
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way
 
Posts: 48602
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:16 am
Location: Magnolia, AR

Postby PSUPhilliesPhan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:48 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:
jp_chips wrote:Playing devil's advocate,isnt plausable to think that taking Pat out of the last 3 innings and maybe losing an at bat in the situation that we have a lead can keep burrell fresh at the 2nd half or the season.I know its frustrating at times and backfires sometimes,but i really think it did help Burrell's second half of the season last year.


Presumably, Pat will not hit .435 the rest of the season. I think there will be plenty of time to rest him if his average dips below, I dunno, .350.


He is also on pace for 69 HR's and 209 RBI's, would be a pretty good year
User avatar
PSUPhilliesPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: South Philly by a block

Postby pacino » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:05 pm

jp_chips wrote:Playing devil's advocate,isnt plausable to think that taking Pat out of the last 3 innings and maybe losing an at bat in the situation that we have a lead can keep burrell fresh at the 2nd half or the season.I know its frustrating at times and backfires sometimes,but i really think it did help Burrell's second half of the season last year.

Burrell's not John Kruk. I doubt 25 min of standing around coupled with 3 or 3 bursts of movement is going to wear him down too much.
A Rhys Hoskins fan
User avatar
pacino
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP
 
Posts: 68161
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: A Christian Yelich-type

Postby jp_chips » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:10 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:
jp_chips wrote:Playing devil's advocate,isnt plausable to think that taking Pat out of the last 3 innings and maybe losing an at bat in the situation that we have a lead can keep burrell fresh at the 2nd half or the season.I know its frustrating at times and backfires sometimes,but i really think it did help Burrell's second half of the season last year.


Presumably, Pat will not hit .435 the rest of the season. I think there will be plenty of time to rest him if his average dips below, I dunno, .350.



why wait to rest him if you have the lead.i think the extra rest in the beginning will help him later on in the season.I just dont think pat's a 9 inning 150 game guy.IMO you can get a healthier and more productive Pat playing 7 innings and taking him out in games your ahead.This way he could start close to 155-160,and not be as worn out as usual player would.
User avatar
jp_chips
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 3887
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 am
Location: In Sarge's Cadillac

Postby SideshowBob » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:22 pm

jp_chips wrote:why wait to rest him if you have the lead.i think the extra rest in the beginning will help him later on in the season.I just dont think pat's a 9 inning 150 game guy.IMO you can get a healthier and more productive Pat playing 7 innings and taking him out in games your ahead.This way he could start close to 155-160,and not be as worn out as usual player would.


Is there any particular reason to think that Burrell is more likely to get worn out than anyone else on the team? If resting players for the stretch run is important, why not take out Howard or Utley or Rollins sometimes too?

I actually don't have a problem with taking out Burrell on occasion, when the situation calls for it or just to give him some rest at times. (And the same can be said with any of the regulars IMHO.) The problem is that Manuel does it with far too great a regularity and at bad times and we are left without a key offensive weapon in return for a marginal improvement in defense.
User avatar
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Postby smitty » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:27 pm

smitty wrote:Good idea. Also anyplays made in the OF that burrell couldn't have made. I don't think there will be too many so we shouldn't use up too much bandwith.


There's no way in the world Burrell comes close to making a play on the pop fly that Taguchi butchered.
User avatar
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP
 
Posts: 40480
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:00 am
Location: Federal Way, WA --Spursville

Postby jp_chips » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:31 pm

SideshowBob wrote:
jp_chips wrote:why wait to rest him if you have the lead.i think the extra rest in the beginning will help him later on in the season.I just dont think pat's a 9 inning 150 game guy.IMO you can get a healthier and more productive Pat playing 7 innings and taking him out in games your ahead.This way he could start close to 155-160,and not be as worn out as usual player would.


Is there any particular reason to think that Burrell is more likely to get worn out than anyone else on the team? If resting players for the stretch run is important, why not take out Howard or Utley or Rollins sometimes too?

I actually don't have a problem with taking out Burrell on occasion, when the situation calls for it or just to give him some rest at times. (And the same can be said with any of the regulars IMHO.) The problem is that Manuel does it with far too great a regularity and at bad times and we are left without a key offensive weapon in return for a marginal improvement in defense.



Mostly because of Burrells prior foot problems,and he's a little older than the one's you mentioned.
User avatar
jp_chips
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 3887
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 am
Location: In Sarge's Cadillac

Postby SideshowBob » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:54 pm

jp_chips wrote:Mostly because of Burrells prior foot problems,and he's a little older than the one's you mentioned.


Well, didn't Utley (broken hand) and Howard (quads) both get injured last year? While Burrell was healthy all year? And it's not like he's all that old. Again, I don't see any rationale as to why to treat Burrell in particular this way and not others.
User avatar
SideshowBob
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Next

Return to Back She Goes!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests