How many eventual HOFers are on the Phillies?

How many eventual HOFers are on the Phillies right now?

1 - Roy Halladay
17%
1 - Chase Utley
No votes
2 - Roy Halladay & Chase Utley
24%
2 - Chase Utley & Someone Else (Explain Below)
No votes
2 - Roy Halladay & Someone Else (Explain Below)
2%
3+ - Roy Halladay, Chase Utley, & Other(s)
56%

Total votes : 41

How many eventual HOFers are on the Phillies?

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:51 pm

What do you think? I think 3+: Halladay and Utley for sure, and, somewhere down the line, of: Ryan Howard, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels, this team will put three in the hall (and thus retire three more numbers for the Phils).

Howard is obviously a long shot, but if he can stay healthy and productive enough to reach 500 HRs, he will very likely be the first to do so totally in the post-steroid era, and I believe writers years from now will want to put him in just for that.

Would be so cool to look up one day and see "32 - 33 - 34 - 35 - 36" retired for the Phillies.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby lethal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

I don't think Utley makes it. He didn't play his first full season until age 26, which is really late for a HoFer.
lethal
BSG MVP / ninja
BSG MVP / ninja

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Kind of a different subject, but I wonder if : (1) Schilling will make the hall and (2) if he does, if the Phils will retire his number. Spent the most years with us, but is most thought of as a Red Sox.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Woody » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:56 pm

take this poll and stick it up your candy ass
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Woody wrote:take this poll and stick it up your candy ass

What? Why?

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Woody » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 pm

you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Crimson Cyclone » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Thome?

oh he's not on now
FTN wrote: im a dick towards everyone, you're not special.
The Crimson Cyclone
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Woody » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 pm

just felt like quoting the Rock. Carry on. The answer is 3
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:58 pm

I think Schilling makes the hall, but the Phillies don't retire his number.
TenuredVulture
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm

I think one thing that is going to have to change in HOF over the years is the way pitchers are evaluated. There simply aren't going to be too many 300-game winners anymore - not with 5 man rotations, etc. Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Roger Clemens may be the last for a very, very long time.

If that "300 win" number is going to continue to be the qualifying metric, it's going to be a long time before there is another starting pitcher elected. That is what is so silly about holding Blyleven out IMHO - the whole way starting pitchers are evaluated will need to change (and soon) if many more starting pitchers are going to be elected at all.

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Zero should really be an option. There aren't any Phillies players who have yet had a Hall f Fame career, and even Halladay only has two age 33 comps who made the Hall and both of them (Bunning and Hubbell) were relatively borderline.

Certainly with two Cy Youngs Halladay is well positioned with even a couple more good years-although that will put him just over 200 wins, kind of skimpy in the minds of HOF voters. Everyone else is a good four to five years away. That doesn't mean that good arguments can't be made that they'll make it. But it's not outlandish to think that none will.
Flanders feeds me people food.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:03 pm

TenuredVulture wrote:I think Schilling makes the hall, but the Phillies don't retire his number.

101 of his 216 big league victories came with the Phils, as well as 1,554 of his 3,116 strikeouts.

But I actually don't think Schil makes the hall. His case isn't really that good IMHO.
Last edited by mozartpc27 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby PTOITWCFTPP » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Depends on the IMPACT they make now that they have CLIFF LEE
I know everything about Sixers.

My word means more than a paper.

"Joel, you've been a bit of a social media star the last few years." Embiid nods confidently
PTOITWCFTPP

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:04 pm

swishnicholson wrote:Zero should really be an option. There aren't any Phillies players who have yet had a Hall f Fame career, and even Halladay only has two age 33 comps who made the Hall and both of them (Bunning and Hubbell) were relatively borderline.

Certainly with two Cy Youngs Halladay is well positioned with even a couple more good years-although that will put him just over 200 wins, kind of skimpy in the minds of HOF voters. Everyone else is a good four to five years away. That doesn't mean that good arguments can't be made that they'll make it. But it's not outlandish to think that none will.

ZERO IS A LOSER OPTION!!!!!

And besides I can't add it now.

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Soren » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Since this involves a ton of projecting, I'd say Halladay and Utley are the closest, Rollins and Howard have a shot if they can stay healthy/hang around
Barry Jive wrote:PSA: it's Redick. like dick you got twice
Soren

Postby The Crimson Cyclone » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:05 pm

no way on Jroll
FTN wrote: im a dick towards everyone, you're not special.
The Crimson Cyclone
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

PTOITWCFTPP wrote:Depends on the IMPACT they make now that they have CLIFF LEE

You kid, but obviously a lot will depend on how the Phils do over the next three years. If they roll up a couple of World Series wins, everyone will remember how dominant the 2008-2013 Phillies were and will therefore tend to think of their players as having winning intangibles.

If they don't, then they were all Very Good but not Famous, and we all know what kind of Hall baseball runs (Hint: not a Hall of the Very Good).

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby swishnicholson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:08 pm

mozartpc27 wrote:
swishnicholson wrote:Zero should really be an option. There aren't any Phillies players who have yet had a Hall f Fame career, and even Halladay only has two age 33 comps who made the Hall and both of them (Bunning and Hubbell) were relatively borderline.

ZERO IS A LOSER OPTION!!!!!

And besides I can't add it now.

OK. Which box do I check for two-Halladay and Jimmy Rollins? You clearly should have just had a general "annoying hardass" option.
Flanders feeds me people food.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:12 pm

SHOULDA GOT JACK MORRIS
FTN
list sheriff

Postby mozartpc27 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:12 pm

I love J-Roll, but... if he gets in, it's a coattails situation. It will mean the Phillies won at least a couple more World Series, in which case it's possible half a dozen of these guys get elected.

I mean, from the 1996-2000 Yankees, is there any doubt that: Jeter, Rivera, Posada, and Pettitte are going in?
Last edited by mozartpc27 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Next

Return to Back She Goes!