Rolling rumors thread

Postby Disco Stu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:05 am

I think you find as many stars in the second half of the first round as you do in the first half.
Check The Good Phight, you might learn something.
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby 21McBride » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:10 am

Phillies special assistant Charley Kerfeld scouted the Houston Astros on Friday night, likely watching relievers Chad Qualls, Dan Wheeler and Brad Lidge

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070728/SPORTS01/707280379/1021&theme=
"Chase Utley You are the Man"

-Harry Kalas
21McBride
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby LongDrive » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:15 am

I would love to get Lidge

Funny thing is, none of those three pitched. Are they sure he wasn't there to watch Woody Williams?
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Macho Row » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:45 am

LongDrive wrote:Funny thing is, none of those three pitched. Are they sure he wasn't there to watch Woody Williams?

Kerfeld can't determine how Garner uses his bullpen. Scouting relief pitchers is a tricky business because they aren't assured a spot in the lineup every day like position players.
Macho Row
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Trent Steele » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:45 am

Not a rumor, but the Angels need a Catcher. They traded Jose Molina, and Napoli hurt his leg last night. Jeff Mathis (.095 BA) and Ryan Budde are the catchers. I would give Barajas away for no other reason than more AB for Coste. Make the call Pat. If you can back someone like Chris Bootcheck or Jason Bulger, all the better.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby LongDrive » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:53 am

Macho Row wrote:
LongDrive wrote:Funny thing is, none of those three pitched. Are they sure he wasn't there to watch Woody Williams?

Kerfeld can't determine how Garner uses his bullpen. Scouting relief pitchers is a tricky business because they aren't assured a spot in the lineup every day like position players.

I know that. My point was that the Phillies are rumored to be interested in Williams.
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby FTN » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:15 pm

LongDrive wrote:
Macho Row wrote:

I know that. My point was that the Phillies are rumored to be interested in Williams.

Doubtful. They said that a lot of the options out there won't make them better. Williams fits into that category
FTN
list sheriff

Postby jemagee » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:22 pm

Buster Olney reporting that the yankees are looking to trade kei igawa
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:49 pm

The Phillies are in the market for a pitcher, but they've had trouble matching up. One source said that they might end up being a good third team in a deal, and there have been a couple of three-way discussions over the past 24 hours. How do the Phillies get into those? Because they have Michael Bourn to deal, and would reluctantly also discuss Shane Victorino and Ryan Madson.

Time for Gillick to bend over....
FTN
list sheriff

Postby jemagee » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:49 pm

But what pitchers are they going to get?
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:59 pm

LA Times says the Angels are out of the running for Teixeira. The teams agreed on the first two players of a 3-player package: Kotchman and Joe Saunders. For the third player, the Rangers did some scouting and came up with a list. While the Angels were willing to give up a mid-level guy like Terry Evans or Nathan Haynes, the Rangers countered with a list of 4: Brandon Wood, Nick Adenhart, Ervin Santana and Howie Kendrick. click.
BigEd76
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Wizlah » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:00 pm

FTN wrote:
The Phillies are in the market for a pitcher, but they've had trouble matching up. One source said that they might end up being a good third team in a deal, and there have been a couple of three-way discussions over the past 24 hours. How do the Phillies get into those? Because they have Michael Bourn to deal, and would reluctantly also discuss Shane Victorino and Ryan Madson.

Time for Gillick to bend over....

Ugh. trading bourn and victorino in a deal would be awful hard to stomach. One or the other, but not both.

Jeez, no sooner did my 'oh god, the farm is going to go for a half-season 2b rental' panic subside, now you have me convinced gillick will trade away all the mobility in the outfield.
WFO-That face implies the bottle is destined for something nonstandard.
Woddy:to smash in her old face
WFO-You went to a dark place there friend.
---
JT - I've arguably been to a worse wedding. There was a cash bar
Wizlah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby FTN » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:00 pm

jemagee wrote:But what pitchers are they going to get?

John Cunnilingus from the Reds
FTN
list sheriff

Postby jemagee » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:01 pm

If the phillies somehow trade Bourn AND victorino, who is playing right field?
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BigEd76 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Sammy Sosa!
BigEd76

Postby FTN » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:03 pm

I don't think he's talking about trading both. I think it means we'd trade either. But if we trade Victorino, we better be getting a quality starter. And why the f would we trade Madson? He's the only guy in our pen that can get anyone out
FTN
list sheriff

Postby BigEd76 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:09 pm

Add another name to the Tommy John list: Josh Johnson

===========================================

NY Newsday and Minneapolis Star-Tribune are both reporting that the Mets were scouting Luis Castillo.

===========================================

NY Post:

Another sign that the Teixeira trade is near and that Texas will get Saltalamacchia is that the Rangers are talking to teams about their starting catcher, Gerald Laird. The Cubs have interest in Laird and Rangers relievers, and might include center field prospect Felix Pie to get that.
BigEd76

Postby LongDrive » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:22 pm

BigEd76 wrote:Sammy Sosa!

He's rumored to be available
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby FTN » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:31 pm

The Marlins really screwed with Johnson over the last year. First Girardi runs him out there after a long rain delay. Then they try and "rehab" his UCL, where it's proven rehab never works, and now he finally gets surgery. 2008 is a lost year in his career, as is 2007. Nice work.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Laexile » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:49 pm

Trent Steele wrote:Not a rumor, but the Angels need a Catcher. They traded Jose Molina, and Napoli hurt his leg last night. Jeff Mathis (.095 BA) and Ryan Budde are the catchers. I would give Barajas away for no other reason than more AB for Coste. Make the call Pat. If you can back someone like Chris Bootcheck or Jason Bulger, all the better.

When Werth is ready, I'd guess that one of the catchers goes. Coste seems to be the likely choice, because the Phils have sent him out before. Strangely, all three have just about the same OPS: Barajas .714, Coste .710, Ruiz .706.

The Phillies will have a tough decision when Utley comes back, assuming it's before September 1. There will likely be two catchers then and no one for an obvious demotion. I'd guess they'd go temporarily with 11 pitchers and send Clay Condrey out.
Laexile
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!