The quarter pole

The quarter pole

Postby The Red Tornado » Thu May 17, 2007 8:46 am

Hard to believe but we're just at the 1/4 mark (with a 2 remainder).

Time for a quick look back:

The Bad

20-20, most of us expected/hoped for a better record at this point.

Our newest pitchers Garcia and Eaton both have ERA's over 5. Altho Garcia's other numbers show that he may be getting unlucky. Both are showing improvement as of late.

The Bullpen- ugh- not to mention the fact that Cholly is only really using 4 guys. They'll all have their arms fall off by August.

Injuries to Howard and Gordon, makes you wonder how much better we'd be if they were at full health and producing. We could be at the top with the Bravos and Mutts.

3rd base- we will ever get a decent guy here? I know Nuni is hot right now, but you know that wont last.\

Bad Jimmy-
after a hot start Jimmy has cooled again, here's hoping he can get hot again.

The Good

20-20, considering we were 4-11 after a dismal start, the fact that we're 20-20 is a relief. We have the 2nd best record in the NL since April 20th at 16-9 (just a half game back from the Brew Crew, if we win today then we have the best record since that date) We're on a winning trend and optimism can grow again.

The Bench- Noonerz, Werth, Dobbs all have been playing rather well.

Rooehz- Guy has been great behind the plate and at the plate. Kudos to Cholly for using him more than Barajas.

Utley/Good Jimmy- when both get in stride, it's one of the most exciting double play combos in the league.

Victorino's arm- amazing (Burrell aint no slouch either)

Rowand- who woulda thought he could draw this many walks?! Great start to the season. Great homer last night.

Hamels/Moyer/Leiber- all pitching well -young and old working like a well oiled machine. Hamels is already the "ace" in my eyes and I am so happy we can see him play for years to come. Nice to see Moyer has found the fountain of youth and Leiber is solid again.
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Richard Thon » Thu May 17, 2007 10:51 am

stick to non-baseball threads...where your ignorance is less pronounced
Richard Thon
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Red Tornado » Thu May 17, 2007 10:52 am

:cry:
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 21McBride » Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 am

Werth's .270 SLG has hardly been good.
"Chase Utley You are the Man"

-Harry Kalas
21McBride
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 am

stick to poker where attempts to fool people into thinking you actually know what you are doing are at least expected
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Camp Holdout » Thu May 17, 2007 10:56 am

add to good...

myers in the pen. i know he blew one last night, but he has been flat great out there.

ch
Camp Holdout
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Richard Thon » Thu May 17, 2007 11:02 am

21McBride wrote:Werth's .270 SLG has hardly been good.

Though, as a pinch-hitter (since the original good classification was under the heading of 'The Bench') his SLG is .364 to go along with an OBP of .462 and an AVG of .364. If you want to narrowly define the bench as players not starting a particular game, as opposed to players expected to occasionally spell the starters, than I can accept Red Tornado's original determination.
Richard Thon
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby dajafi » Thu May 17, 2007 11:02 am

The lineup and rotation both seem fine to me. Rotation numbers aren't entirely there yet, mostly owing to a few bad Eaton starts, but I'd guess that the Phils are getting a higher percentage of quality starts this year than they have at least since 2003. And that they're scoring so many runs without Howard doing all that much, or Helms hitting for power, or Burrell cracking .250, is very encouraging.

The bench is better than I thought it would be. Maybe that's fluky--Dobbs and Noonerz won't be this good all year--but OTOH Werth has been a big disappointment and Barajas has underperformed. At the very least, it's the best bench of Manuel's tenure.

The bullpen remains a big concern. Myers has been lights-out, but there isn't another guy out there right now who inspires any confidence. Geary might be broken, Alf stinks, Condrey is decent but unspectacular, and the three kids can't even get into any games. That we're (I'm) waiting for the return of Gordon and Madson, the villains of the awful start, says a lot.

Right now the Phillies look like a pretty good team. They've won 16 of their last 25. But they haven't gained much ground on the two very good teams ahead of them in the standings. If they're going to make the playoffs, they'll have to take it to the Mets and Braves in head-to-head.
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Thu May 17, 2007 11:20 am

Question: Now that Rowand is playing really well, would you deal him for a dependable (Linebrink-ish) set-up guy?

Can Bourn, Werth, and Dobbs hold down RF?
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby seke2 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:26 am

Grotewold wrote:Question: Now that Rowand is playing really well, would you deal him for a dependable (Linebrink-ish) set-up guy?

If I could deal him (and a prospect or two) for an outfielder and a setup guy, probably.

No. Can Dobbs even play RF?
Letting Roy Halladay loose against the National League this year was like locking a hungry wolf inside a garage full of kittens. - Neyer
seke2
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Wizlah » Thu May 17, 2007 11:27 am

Grotewold wrote:Question: Now that Rowand is playing really well, would you deal him for a dependable (Linebrink-ish) set-up guy?

It's tempting to see what Bourn and Dobbs could manage together. Plus it means we keep coste's bat on the bench, which may be a good thing. I despair of werth, even after 1 1/2 months. I just don't think the power is going to come around.
WFO-That face implies the bottle is destined for something nonstandard.
Woddy:to smash in her old face
WFO-You went to a dark place there friend.
---
JT - I've arguably been to a worse wedding. There was a cash bar
Wizlah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Grotewold » Thu May 17, 2007 11:28 am

seke2 wrote: No. Can Dobbs even play RF?

I guess the question, then, is whether Bourn is ready for CF.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Richard Thon » Thu May 17, 2007 11:31 am

I don't think so. I think this year might be our best shot in the next several. I don't think you can count on Moyer beyond this year (though I said that for this year as well) and I wouldn't anticipate Garcia being back either. Can we assume they'll both be upgraded? I'm not so sure.
Richard Thon
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jemagee » Thu May 17, 2007 11:37 am

Richard Thon wrote:stick to non-baseball threads...where your ignorance is less pronounced

Only if you stick to threads where jerkoffery is less pronounced
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jemagee » Thu May 17, 2007 11:38 am

Camp Holdout wrote:add to good...

myers in the pen. i know he blew one last night, but he has been flat great out there.

ch

Last night, you mean the game the phils won 6-2?
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Richard Thon » Thu May 17, 2007 11:39 am

jemagee wrote:
Richard Thon wrote:stick to non-baseball threads...where your ignorance is less pronounced

you mean those rare threads where you're nowhere to be found?
Richard Thon
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jemagee » Thu May 17, 2007 11:41 am

Richard Thon wrote:
jemagee wrote:

No, those rare threads where you don't live up to the nick name for the first part of your screen name. I'm sure philaphans would welcome such a polite addition as yourself
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Richard Thon » Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 am

jemagee wrote:
Richard Thon wrote:
jemagee wrote:

No, those rare threads where you don't live up to the nick name for the first part of your screen name. I'm sure philaphans would welcome such a polite addition as yourself

Your wittiness is surpassed only by your congeniality.
Richard Thon
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 1 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 am

Yeah. This is a good idea.

:roll:
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby dajafi » Thu May 17, 2007 11:53 am

Easy folks. The mods are getting restless and will take any excuse to brutally and arbitrarily throw around our power. I don't just mean a stern talking-to or even banning, either. Vox knows how to slash your credit rating, and Milty your tires. These men are desperate and depraved.

Ahem. I will flip-flop and say that at this point, I wouldn't deal Rowand for anything less than a can't-miss position prospect, either OF or 3B. (And Josh Fields no longer qualifies, if he ever did.) Certainly not Linebrink straight up, though maybe him plus a decent position prospect. While I'm not generally one to credit "chemistry," I do think it would bum out the clubhouse to see the best hitter on the team through the early going dealt away. They've had a good thing going the last four weeks or so; don't screw with success.
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Next

Return to Back She Goes!