Postby 21McBride » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:50 am

not after the guntastic banning anyway.
"Chase Utley You are the Man"

-Harry Kalas
21McBride
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Grotewold » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:53 am

milton bernard thompson wrote:i love how all of the posts from the GO MARRY A CALCULATOR crowd gradually died since the beginning of july to the point that they've all but disappeared from the thread now that the player they hate is helping their team win.

I hear you, but doesn't that make sense? I'd lose more respect for the "haters" if they kept ripping him now.

I don't know that it was ever personal. He was terrible in previous months, and coupled with how he ended 2006, there was, IMHO, reasonable concern for whether he'd return to his past production.
Grotewold
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby CFP » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:55 am

21McBride wrote:not after the guntastic banning anyway.

I'd like to see Burrell's numbers since we banned Gunt.
CFP
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Disco Stu » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:20 pm

Grotewold wrote:
milton bernard thompson wrote:i love how all of the posts from the GO MARRY A CALCULATOR crowd gradually died since the beginning of july to the point that they've all but disappeared from the thread now that the player they hate is helping their team win.

I hear you, but doesn't that make sense? I'd lose more respect for the "haters" if they kept ripping him now.

I don't know that it was ever personal. He was terrible in previous months, and coupled with how he ended 2006, there was, IMHO, reasonable concern for whether he'd return to his past production.

Yeah, that .874 OPS in September was really a reasonable concern.
Check The Good Phight, you might learn something.
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby Disco Stu » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:06 pm

Ok, I am cherry picking here since the game is not over yet, but...

Pat has moved into a virtual tie for 7th in MLB in OPs among left fielders with Eric Byrnes (one point more) an d Hideki Matsui (2 points more). He moved ahead of Alfonso Soriano pretty easily (by 20 points) and is now just 12 points behing the other free agent left fielder, Carlos Lee.

He is one of two left fielders who has more walks than strikeouts (the other being Barry Bonds).
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby dajafi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:22 pm

ColeforPresident wrote:
21McBride wrote:not after the guntastic banning anyway.

I'd like to see Burrell's numbers since we banned Gunt.

That's July. Guntastic was banned either on the 29th or 30th of June, Burrell didn't play on the 30th, so you've got his July. Through tonight, and notwithstanding any math mistakes I might have made, it's:

25-56 (.446), 4 2b, 5 HR, 20 RBI, 18 BB, 10 K, .581 OBP, .776 SLG, 1.357 OPS
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby milton bernard thompson » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:40 am

just a little update on pat's progress this month...

if burrell had 100 more PAs this year (a reasonable estimate if he wasn't sat for a large number of games and excessively defensively replaced), his numbers would extrapolate to 17 homers (19th in NL, 6th among LF) and 67 RBI (9th in NL, 3rd among LF). at this point in the season his OPS+ is at 126, second highest in his career.

and the $17 million per year soriano, the guy many of those in the ignorant camp wanted us to sign after trying to dump pat for nothing, now trails burrell by 36 points in OPS. hey, maybe pat's 13 million dollar salary this year isn't that awful of a deal after all.
milton bernard thompson
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby LongDrive » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:50 am

milton bernard thompson wrote:just a little update on pat's progress this month...

if burrell had 100 more PAs this year (a reasonable estimate if he wasn't sat for a large number of games and excessively defensively replaced), his numbers would extrapolate to 17 homers (19th in NL, 6th among LF) and 67 RBI (9th in NL, 3rd among LF). at this point in the season his OPS+ is at 126, second highest in his career.

and the $17 million per year soriano, the guy many of those in the ignorant camp wanted us to sign after trying to dump pat for nothing, now trails burrell by 36 points in OPS. hey, maybe pat's 13 million dollar salary this year isn't that awful of a deal after all.

If he keeps playing this way, I don't think anyone will have a problem with him making 13 million a year.
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby jemagee » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:53 am

LongDrive wrote:
milton bernard thompson wrote:just a little update on pat's progress this month...

If he keeps playing this way, I don't think anyone will have a problem with him making 13 million a year.

I beg to differ...I know quite a few people who are unimpressed with his july and think he's still the biggest anchor on the team...true or not
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby LongDrive » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:57 am

jemagee wrote:
LongDrive wrote:

I beg to differ...I know quite a few people who are unimpressed with his july and think he's still the biggest anchor on the team...true or not

I'm talking about those who post here on this site.
LongDrive
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Pedro Rosa » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Patsy simply isn't capable of putting up the numbers to justify, for some, his presence on this team...no one is...
Pedro Rosa
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby MoBettle » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:16 pm

I think if he hit .280 the way he did in 05 the people who get on him would calm down.
MoBettle
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby milton bernard thompson » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:20 pm

well, that's exactly the case. i think most of those who are dissatisfied with him batting .250 with a .400 OBP would be huge fans of his if he was hitting .280 with a .330 OBP. they simply don't get it and most of them never will.
milton bernard thompson
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby zp » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:54 pm

I can't believe his average is up to .256 or his OPS is .870.

Nice recovery, Pat.
zp
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby The Red Tornado » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:09 pm

Typical Pat- gets an RBI on a walk... :P
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 1 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:09 am

sat in front of a very knowledgeable gent for an inning tonight

to his poor poor wife/girlfriend/f buddy: "Aw c'mon Pat! This guy never hits a home run or nuthin' anymore!"

meanwhile, Pat's stats from the previous 18 games were on Phanavision (inc. 5 HRs)

sigh
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby philliesphhan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:18 am

1 wrote:sat in front of a very knowledgeable gent for an inning tonight

to his poor poor wife/girlfriend/f buddy: "Aw c'mon Pat! This guy never hits a home run or nuthin' anymore!"

meanwhile, Pat's stats from the previous 18 games were on Phanavision (inc. 5 HRs)

sigh

wouldn't be quite as bad if he didnt just hit one yesterday
"My hip is #$!&@ up. I'm going to Africa for two weeks."
philliesphhan
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby Disco Stu » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:42 am

zp wrote:I can't believe his average is up to .256 or his OPS is .870.

Nice recovery, Pat.

don't I get any credit for still believing?
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby dsp » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:20 am

its all about you, aint it?

pats been terrific for july, hope he keeps it up. but theres still 2 months to play, just like you asked not write patty off in may and june, lets not declare him god until he puts together a completely good season.
dsp
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Disco Stu » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:14 am

dsp wrote:its all about you, aint it?

pats been terrific for july, hope he keeps it up. but theres still 2 months to play, just like you asked not write patty off in may and june, lets not declare him god until he puts together a completely good season.

Ok, I am biting on this because it is late and you are clueless.

First, Pat has had only ONE terrible month. Yeah, his BA was bad in two months, but he posted an OPs of .770. Not great, but pretty much average. If average is considered a bad month, then he has done something right.

Yeah, he has been uncharacteristically hot this month, but the guy has been consistent over the last 16 months, has 1 REALLY bad month and you are saying that he has to put together a completely good season. Really, you don't deserve us. You should go post on another forum.
Disco Stu
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!