Braves Get Teixeira

Postby BigEd76 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:33 am

mozartpc27 wrote:I'm not sure that Texeira will help the Braves all that much, especially playing, as he will, in that ballpark of theirs, which, IIRC, is really not very nice to right handed hitters at all.

He's a switch-hitter
BigEd76
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!
You've Got to Be Kidding Me!

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:33 am

PSUPhilliesPhan wrote:I just can't figure out why the Pirates would deal Snell?

They likely won't. But then again, they are the Pirates and they are probably the worst offense in the NL.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:34 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:But who catches for us next year if we move Ruiz and the front office keeps hating on Coste?

Doesn't really matter. Jaramillo can probably put up close to a .700 OPS. Ruiz right now is at .700 on the button, .255/.319/.381. JJ has a .276/.347/.378 line at Ottawa.

JJ's splits

April: .345/.406/.400
May: .168/.252/.284
June: .322/.410/.402
July: .302/.346/.438
Last edited by FTN on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby FTN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:35 am

Also, even though he's having a career year, I'd take Torrealba, give him 70% of the starts and Coste the rest.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby stevemc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:36 am

A Jaramillo/Coste platoon would probably work for us next season. If Ruiz can net you something of value - you do it.
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Houshphandzadeh » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 am

Yeah, I guess the reality-based Ruiz isn't quite as impressive as the one in my mind's eye. In that case, why would Pittsburgh, or anyone else, want him?
Houshphandzadeh
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:Yeah, I guess the reality-based Ruiz isn't quite as impressive as the one in my mind's eye. In that case, why would Pittsburgh, or anyone else, want him?

Very cheap, perceived value. Much like Bourn has more perceived value. You're a smart guy, and you "thought" Ruiz was putting up better numbers. I'm sure other GM's feel the same way.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:39 am

Houshphandzadeh wrote:Yeah, I guess the reality-based Ruiz isn't quite as impressive as the one in my mind's eye. In that case, why would Pittsburgh, or anyone else, want him?

Good defensive catcher, pre-arb league minimum, 28 years old, average stick with potential to be better than that based on AAA numbers.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jemagee » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:45 am

My psychic prediction is that during tonights cubs/phillies broadcast on ESPN they will talk a lot about how the braves 'won' the divsion today with making this trade, how last year was just a mis-step and the braves have again shown why they are the class of the NL East

Of course, that's just paraphrasing
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:45 am

I pulled this from the Pirates board from the Beaver County times. Had not seen it previously. Don't know that we neccessarily match up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently those Braves' announcers weren't that far off...

JOHN PERROTTO’S RUMORS & RUMBLINGS

*There is continued buzz the Pirates would be willing to part with right-hander Ian Snell in a trade for a power hitter. Reportedly, the Pirates top targets are Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp and Braves catcher/first baseman Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Philadelphia is scouting the Pirates with an eye on Salomon Torres and bullpen mates Shawnn Chacon and Damaso Marte.

*Torres has dropped his trade request, yet Philadelphia, Boston and Colorado are among the teams still showing interest in dealing for the set-up man.

*Courtesy: John Perrotto, Beaver County Times
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:52 am

I think they want a power hitting outfielder, because their best prospect is Andrew McCutchen, a center field kind of similar to Bourn but with more power.

In that respect, Ruiz + Carrasco + Cardenas might be more realistic, because they don't have much in the way of quality infield prospects.

In fact, since the organization seems to have already given up on finding a place for Cardenas, this might make some sense.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby The Red Tornado » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:54 am

Wow, your two favorite prospects and youd be okay with trading them away for Snell?
The Red Tornado
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Woody » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:54 am

FTN wrote:
In fact, since the organization seems to have already given up on finding a place for Cardenas, this might make some sense.

Can you explain?
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:00 pm

The Red Tornado wrote:Wow, your two favorite prospects and youd be okay with trading them away for Snell?

Yes. I love the minor leagues, I get attached to prospects, but the point of the minor leagues is to fill holes on your current roster. Either you use them directly in your lineup/rotation, or you trade them for pieces that will improve your big league squad.

Snell is a legit #2 starter in the big leagues, just a step below the elite arms and is 25 years old. Coming into this season, he had 1.08 years of service time, meaning he'll have 2 after this season, and that means that he's under control for 2008, 2009, and 2010 before he's a free agent. That means you'd have him for 3+ years before FA. He posted a 4:1 K/BB ratio in the minors, and he has legit power stuff....92-94 mph fastball and a hard slider.

Carrasco could be Ian Snell....or he could be Telemaco. Cardenas is hitting well in Low A, but he doesn't have a clear path to the majors, and hasn't even reached AA.

For a rental or mediocre starter, no. For a guy with elite potential, yes.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby Woody » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:02 pm

More importantly, how excited will Steven Snell be if we got Ian Snell
you sure do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be on this forum? Do you have a job? Are you a shut-in?
Woody
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:07 pm

FTN wrote:
The Red Tornado wrote:Wow, your two favorite prospects and youd be okay with trading them away for Snell?

Yes. I love the minor leagues, I get attached to prospects, but the point of the minor leagues is to fill holes on your current roster. Either you use them directly in your lineup/rotation, or you trade them for pieces that will improve your big league squad.

Snell is a legit #2 starter in the big leagues, just a step below the elite arms and is 25 years old. Coming into this season, he had 1.08 years of service time, meaning he'll have 2 after this season, and that means that he's under control for 2008, 2009, and 2010 before he's a free agent. That means you'd have him for 3+ years before FA. He posted a 4:1 K/BB ratio in the minors, and he has legit power stuff....92-94 mph fastball and a hard slider.

Carrasco could be Ian Snell....or he could be Telemaco. Cardenas is hitting well in Low A, but he doesn't have a clear path to the majors, and hasn't even reached AA.

For a rental or mediocre starter, no. For a guy with elite potential, yes.

Another benefit of a Snell/Marte trade is that it allows you to replace Mesa with Durbin. I could see Durbin having some success in the bullpen:

Hamels
Snell
Moyer
Kendrick
Eaton

Myers
Gordon
Marte
Alf
Romero
Durbin
Geary/Condrey/Mesa

Me like.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby TenuredVulture » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:09 pm

When you consider FTN's proposals, and consider that he's willig to give up good prospects, remember that getting a player who can help us now will mean that we have to give up something with real value.

Actually, while everyone is quick to deal Ruiz, I wonder if Coste himself might not have a bit more value, though he's obviously rather old.
If someone asks you to keep a secret, that secret is a lie.
TenuredVulture
Plays the Game the Right Way
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby usctrojans31 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:10 pm

There was a rumor going around about Coste for Ensberg
usctrojans31
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:10 pm

Phan Paul wrote:When you consider FTN's proposals, and consider that he's willig to give up good prospects, remember that getting a player who can help us now will mean that we have to give up something with real value.

Actually, while everyone is quick to deal Ruiz, I wonder if Coste himself might not have a bit more value, though he's obviously rather old.

Either/or. If any of the 3 helps you get a good SP, rock and roll.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby jemagee » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:13 pm

usctrojans31 wrote:There was a rumor going around about Coste for Ensberg

Doesn't coste play 3rd among his many positions?
jemagee
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Next

Return to Back She Goes!