Phils acquire Kyle Lohse for Matt Maloney

Postby PSUPhilliesPhan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:08 pm

I don't hate it, what is Lohse's contract situation?
PSUPhilliesPhan
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby mozartpc27 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:08 pm

I suspect bullpen "help" of some sort or another is also on the way, and that Michael Bourn may not be permitted to unpack his stuff in Chicago.
"I'm in a bar with the games sound turned off and that Cespedes home run still sounded like inevitability."

-swish
mozartpc27
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:09 pm

PSUPhilliesPhan wrote:I don't hate it, what is Lohse's contract situation?

FA at end of year
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 21McBride » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:10 pm

usctrojans31 wrote:I would love to see his ERA by inning

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=lohseky01&year=2007
"Chase Utley You are the Man"

-Harry Kalas
21McBride
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby smitty » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:10 pm

FTN wrote:My feelings on this. It's a good move. Lohse has been inconsistent this season, he's thrown a number of awesome games, and a number of turds. If we can get 7 good starts and 3 bad ones from him, we've got a good chance to go 8-2 in those starts, based on our offense. When he's on his game, his stuff is better than Kendrick's and better than Durbin's.

The big thing is, Maloney isn't an awesome prospect. He lacks velocity, his stuff is average, and his secondary pitches are average. I love statistics and use them extensively to look at minor league track records, but a guy with an 87 mph fastball and fringe curve/change probably isn't going to light the National League on fire. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Zach Duke. Ask Pittsburgh how well that worked out.

The last time we traded with the Reds for a starter, we got Cory Lidle. No one was really impressed with that deal, and Lidle almost got us to the playoffs.

I agree with what you say for the most part. Lidle was a sinker ball guy and Lohse is a fly ball pitcher and that's a pretty big difference. But Lohse is a young guy and he throws realtively hard with a couple of OK secondary pitches. I think it's not just this season that he has pitched a few really good games a few really bad ones. He gives you a quality start about 50% of the time I guess and that isn't so bad for a 4th/5th starter.

The Phillies had good luck with both Lidle and Moyer so let's hope they get the hat trick here. I don't think Lohse is a Paul Abbott, for example. He's an OK pitcher who might be able to throw some good games over the next two months. And giving up Maloney isn't a huge price.
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby FTN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Here's something else to consider.

Cinci has the 28th best Defensive Efficiency in baseball. Philadelphia isn't THAT much better at 20th, but a few more plays made per game could make a difference.

Also, check this out

Analysis of Lohse's whiff rates on his pitches

Basically, if DUBEE gets him to stop throwing his curveball, he could be an above average pitcher.
FTN
list sheriff

Postby usctrojans31 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 pm

21McBride wrote:
usctrojans31 wrote:I would love to see his ERA by inning

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=lohseky01&year=2007

Thanks. I certainly take that back, he has first inning problems
usctrojans31
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby MarkdlV » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:11 pm

kenrosenthal wrote:Gillick has to be working on something else. Lohse cannot be it

Afternoon nap.
MarkdlV
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby JayBallz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 pm

Ha- Eskin says, no one at this level has heard of Matt Maloney. I don't even know what "this level" means, but come on. Eskin used to hate on Victorino regularly too. He has NO clue about baseball prospects.

Maloney was liked. Hopefully, Lohse can help the squad.

JayBallz
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Eem » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:22 pm

FTN wrote:Here's something else to consider.

Cinci has the 28th best Defensive Efficiency in baseball. Philadelphia isn't THAT much better at 20th, but a few more plays made per game could make a difference.

Also, check this out

Basically, if DUBEE gets him to stop throwing his curveball, he could be an above average pitcher.

This is really interesting stuff.

It seems like he's a candidate for a cut fastball or something of the sort.
Bed and bath i love this places
Eem
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby dajafi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:24 pm

FTN wrote:Also, check this out

I just wanted to underline this. Really cool short analysis, and grounds for hope that this might work out.

If you'd asked me a day ago whether the Phils should trade Matt Maloney for Kyle Lohse, I'd probably have expressed a wish to ship a lesser prospect. But as FTN and others note, MM was not one of our best arms, and there's reason to think Lohse is a decent gamble. Though I get and agree with the "meh," reaction, this is probably better than nothing.
dajafi
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby ReadingPhilly » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:25 pm

not a terrible move if he can be slightly above average like he has been.

i expect this to be the last move the phils make.
ReadingPhilly
Plays the Game the Right Way

Postby smitty » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Also, check this out

Since Lohse is a flyball pitcher, how does the Phillies OF defense compare to the Cincy OF? I'd guess the Phils are better especially when they go Bourn, Rowand and Vic.
smitty
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Trent Steele » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:29 pm

Loshe gave up 22 ER in 19 IP against AL teams. Not so bad against NL. 45 ER in 109 IP (3.72 ERA).
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater.
Trent Steele
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby Phan In Phlorida » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:29 pm

stevemc wrote:Why this has meh written all over it - if you look at the impact for THIS season - Lohse seems to give you the same as (what some wanted to trade Bourn for) Anthony Reyes

Reyes - 70 IP, 6.37K/9, 1.34 WHIP, .771 OPS

Lohse - 131 IP, 5.47 K/9, 1.34 WHIP, .773 OPS

Although Reyes has the better K rate - they're basically doing the same thing and I'd much rather give up a Maloney than Bourn.

Myself, I'd much rather Reyes. Reyes is young, pre-arb, and has the stuff to be a top of the rotation major league starter (a potential star). Lohse is a rental, unless the Phils extend (FA after this season), and unless there were cash considerations, the Phils are on the hook for the pro-rated portion of his 2007 salary of 4.2 mil. Also, I don't like what his last name spells when you take away the "h" :mrgreen: :wink:
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Phan In Phlorida
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby milton bernard thompson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:29 pm

somebody email that link to dubee
milton bernard thompson
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby CFP » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:30 pm

FTN, could you explain a little bit about how Lohse's DERA could be so close to his NRA? Is this normal?
CFP
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby stevemc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:30 pm

Also, check this out

Thanks for the share. Hopefully Cole & Moyer have some friendly change-up advice for Lohse.
stevemc
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby ReadingPhilly » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:32 pm

Trent Steele wrote:Loshe gave up 22 ER in 19 IP against AL teams. Not so bad against NL. 45 ER in 109 IP (3.72 ERA).

got this from another site, didn't check the accuracy

NL-only numbers are 112.7 IP, 1.23 WHIP, 3.59 ERA, 5.52 K/9, 1.92 BB/9, 0.88 HR/9
ReadingPhilly

Postby CFP » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:34 pm

Lohse's .270 BABIP at GAB this year scares me a little bit
CFP
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!