Rolling Phillies Injury and Conditioning Updates

Postby Wizlah » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:52 am

pacino wrote:Seriously, I'm not concerned at all. Not one bit. I'm not thinking about Mike Jackson at all.

aargh. I thought I'd wiped all memories of previous crocked closers in order to remain optimistic about flash.
WFO-That face implies the bottle is destined for something nonstandard.
Woddy:to smash in her old face
WFO-You went to a dark place there friend.
---
JT - I've arguably been to a worse wedding. There was a cash bar
Wizlah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby karn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:25 pm

- wrote:we need a graemlin of the iraqi minister of information saying these things

karn
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby 1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:31 pm

- heart karn
Fine. You wanna act like you're two? I'll act like I'm one.
Moderator / BSG MVP
Moderator / BSG MVP

Postby Wizlah » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:24 am

Philly.com. [url=http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/baseball/16899169.htmFlash's arm a-okay[/url]. Honest.

Except . . .

"I feel good," a bleary-eyed Gordon said in the player parking lot at Bright House Networks Field. "They just wanted me to go up and get it done. Get it [right arm and shoulder] looked at... . I didn't want to go, but he couldn't come down until the last week. So we didn't want to wait."

Because I'm in explicablyp-pessimistic-phillies-fan-mood, I'm suspicious. What? Ciccotti *can't* get down sooner? Or the extra-special tests to see how far gordon's arm is from falling off need to be done away from prying press eyes?

Anyone got pills for rampant paranoia?
---
Wizlah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby swishnicholson » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:31 am

Wizlah wrote:Philly.com. Flash's arm a-okay. Honest.

Except . . .

"I feel good," a bleary-eyed Gordon said in the player parking lot at Bright House Networks Field. "They just wanted me to go up and get it done. Get it [right arm and shoulder] looked at... . I didn't want to go, but he couldn't come down until the last week. So we didn't want to wait."

Because I'm in explicablyp-pessimistic-phillies-fan-mood, I'm suspicious. What? Ciccotti *can't* get down sooner? Or the extra-special tests to see how far gordon's arm is from falling off need to be done away from prying press eyes?

Anyone got pills for rampant paranoia?

I'm as pessimistic as anyone this side of Phan Paul. but "team physician" Ciccotti is on the faculty at Jefferson and is the co-director of the residency program with the match coming up. I don't have any trouble believing there were reasons why he couldn't fly down to Florida.
Flanders feeds me people food.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

Postby BassGuiFloyd » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:20 am

COSTE

Already in a heated battle for a roster spot, catcher Chris Coste now has more worries.

Coste has been sidelined since Saturday with a right hamstring injury that will keep him out of action at least another week.

“I'm not in a position where I can take time off, but I can't keep fighting it and let it blow,” Coste revealed Monday before sitting out the Phillies' 5-1 loss to Pittsburgh. “It's better to do it now than have to miss three months.”

Coste called a meeting with manager Charlie Manuel last Saturday to disclose his injury, and he hasn't played since.

“According to our trainers, it'll be 10 days,” Manuel said.

link

BURRELL

Burrell feels fine

The days of part-time Pat may be over.

Frequently subbed for defense in the late innings a year ago due to a chronic right foot injury, Phillies left fielder Pat Burrell has had no problems so far this spring.

“It's been fine,” Burrell said.

Last year, Burrell made 126 starts in left field and went the distance just 53 times. During the Phillies' September NL wild card chase, he finished seven of 24 starts.

“That would be great if [Burrell] could be a nine-inning player,” manager Charlie Manuel said. “That would really help us, and it would help us on the bench, too.”

BRITO
Left-hander Eude Brito made his first Grapefruit League appearance against the Devil Rays and pitched a 1-2-3 eighth inning. Brito has been brought along slowly after a neck injury suffered in a Dec. 19, 2006, car accident, was slow to heal.

link

BUDDE
The Phils are a little light at catcher. Rule 5 selection Ryan Budde is nursing a strained oblique

GORDON
The past eight days were more about Tom Gordon's forearm and elbow than his right shoulder.
"I didn't want to rush anything," the Phillies closer said. "I got to a point where I strengthened my shoulder so well [in the offseason] that my elbow and forearm were still a little weak, so this week gave me an opportunity to strengthen those areas. It helped, no doubt."

That isn't to say Gordon's forearm and elbow are hurting, just that this is the 39-year-old's "dead arm" phase. He felt that he wanted to do some strengthening before making his third Grapefruit League appearance, in which he allowed two hits and the winning run in Sunday's 5-4 loss to the Rays.

While the Phillies have been careful with their most important reliever this spring, and will be during the season as well, Gordon hasn't missed a throwing session and expects to make six to eight appearances -- including side sessions -- before Opening Day. Manager Charlie Manuel said he'll likely use Gordon on Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Sunday's assignment was for Gordon to throw his fastball and curveball.

"I really felt good, and I knew that I would," Gordon said. "I felt my command was better today, and I hadn't seen hitters in seven or eight days, so I have something to build on."

Gordon threw 12 of 21 pitches for strikes, and he was happy to make the extra tosses. He threw 30 pitches in a side session and hopes to reach 45 to 50 pitches in an outing by the end of spring.

"Today was a good day for me to let the ball go," Gordon said. "I threw probably as hard as I could throw. I liked the way things went."

link

BARAJAS
Barajas jammed his right thumb retreating to second base on Sunday, and was soaking it after the game. He said he'll be fine.

link

I also thought I read something on Dobbs fighting a small injury but I couldn't find anything.
Why not just go storm Normandy and get shot in the face while you're at it
Why not get a plumbing license and run around high on shrooms stealing peoples' pocket change
BassGuiFloyd
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby BassGuiFloyd » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:18 am

RUIZ
Carlos Ruiz didn't play Wednesday because of right shoulder tightness.

Ruiz is considered day-to-day. Dusty Wathan started in his place.

link

F. GARCIA
Freddy Garcia left Wednesday's game after one inning with right biceps tightness.

Jon Lieber might not be on his way to the bullpen after all. Garcia admitted to pitching through some shoulder soreness last season and hadn't impressed this spring, so this might be something more than a little muscle tightness.

link
Why not get a plumbing license and run around high on shrooms stealing peoples' pocket change
BassGuiFloyd
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby BassGuiFloyd » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 pm

Here's the dillio on Dobbs:
Dobbs, Ruiz, Coste, Geary, Smith
Dobbs healing: Greg Dobbs devoured his Chipotle Mexican Grill dinner one-handed Wednesday night, while watching "Lost."

His left wrist dined on a bucket of ice.

Dobbs' ill-timed injury may have evened the field with Chris Coste -- who himself may have been helped by Carlos Ruiz's sore right shoulder. Dobbs is nursing a sore left wrist, suffered March 18 against the Devil Rays.

"I'm doing everything I can, and am confident that it's getting better every day," Dobbs said. "I hope it doesn't take much longer."

Starting in right field against Tampa Bay that morning, Dobbs crashed into the wall pursuing a foul ball, jamming the wrist. He taped it and stayed in the game, going 0-for-4.

"It was killing me, but I wasn't coming out," he said.

Dobbs hopes to return in "one or two days," and he has been taking ground balls. He has built up equity by hitting .357 (15-for-42), with three homers.

"The timing couldn't be worse," Dobbs said. "I'm just praying it doesn't ruin my chances."

Other injuries: Ruiz (right shoulder), Chris Coste (right hamstring), Geoff Geary (left hamstring) and Matt Smith (left groin) are banged up.

Smith and Geary hope to pitch on Friday.

link

F. Garcia and Ruiz

Freddy Garcia is confident he's just fine.

One day after Garcia pitched just one inning for the Phillies against Toronto, a medical exam revealed the right-hander has a sore right biceps. He has no problem with his shoulder -- for now.

Garcia, who was Philadelphia's key offseason acquisition, will be reevaluated by the team physician on Saturday.

"I'm not worried. I know I'm going to be OK," Garcia said before Thursday's game against Boston.

Catcher Carlos Ruiz, a late scratch from the lineup Wednesday night, has a sore right shoulder. He'll also be re-examined by Dr. Michael Ciccotti on Saturday. Both Garcia and Ruiz saw another doctor Thursday morning.

"We're very encouraged by the exams," assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "Both felt much better today. We're going to hold them off throwing, get them into a rehab protocol and go from there."

link
BassGuiFloyd
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby BassGuiFloyd » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:54 am

GARCIA, LIEBER, COSTE
Right-handers Garcia and Jon Lieber will participate in Monday's Opening Day festivities, then resume preparations to rejoin the Phillies.

Garcia (strained right biceps muscle) is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Monday, before his teammates open the season against the Braves. He'll then return to Clearwater, Fla., and make two rehabilitation starts, on Thursday and then on April 10. He'll progress from 45 pitches to 65 pitches, and could start for the Phillies on or around April 15.

Lieber (strained right oblique) is scheduled to pitch on Wednesday in an extended Spring Training start. Both Lieber and Garcia are eligible to come off the disabled list on Saturday.

"We'll have to make a determination after that," Dubee said.

Garcia said he's feeling "really good" compared to how he felt March 21, when he left his start against the Blue Jays after one inning. He's reached 200 innings in seven of his eight big-league seasons, and hopes to make it eight or nine.

While he's OK with Philadelphia's decision to bring him along in this fashion, Garcia said things would be different if this were late September.

"I'd be pitching," he said, smiling. "This is good for me and good for everybody that it happened now. I'll be ready."

Coste caught five innings Saturday in Clearwater. He fared well, but not well enough.

"He did fine, but he's not running 100 percent," Amaro said. "We don't want to put Charlie [Manuel] in a position where he's limited."

link

BUDDE
Phillies placed catcher Ryan Budde on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 25, with a strained oblique.
We don't see the point of employing roster shenanigans with Budde, a Rule 5 pick from the Angels. The 27-year-old is a poor bet to have a career as a backup, and the Phillies have three catchers ahead of him on the depth chart. It's hard to imagine the Phillies putting him on the active roster for 90 days. Mar. 30 - 10:02 pm et

link
BassGuiFloyd
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby allentown » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:49 am

BassGuiFloyd wrote:GARCIA, LIEBER, COSTE
Right-handers Garcia and Jon Lieber will participate in Monday's Opening Day festivities, then resume preparations to rejoin the Phillies.

Garcia (strained right biceps muscle) is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Monday, before his teammates open the season against the Braves. He'll then return to Clearwater, Fla., and make two rehabilitation starts, on Thursday and then on April 10. He'll progress from 45 pitches to 65 pitches, and could start for the Phillies on or around April 15.

Lieber (strained right oblique) is scheduled to pitch on Wednesday in an extended Spring Training start. Both Lieber and Garcia are eligible to come off the disabled list on Saturday.

"We'll have to make a determination after that," Dubee said.

Garcia said he's feeling "really good" compared to how he felt March 21, when he left his start against the Blue Jays after one inning. He's reached 200 innings in seven of his eight big-league seasons, and hopes to make it eight or nine.

While he's OK with Philadelphia's decision to bring him along in this fashion, Garcia said things would be different if this were late September.

"I'd be pitching," he said, smiling. "This is good for me and good for everybody that it happened now. I'll be ready."

Coste caught five innings Saturday in Clearwater. He fared well, but not well enough.

"He did fine, but he's not running 100 percent," Amaro said. "We don't want to put Charlie [Manuel] in a position where he's limited."

link

BUDDE
Phillies placed catcher Ryan Budde on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 25, with a strained oblique.
We don't see the point of employing roster shenanigans with Budde, a Rule 5 pick from the Angels. The 27-year-old is a poor bet to have a career as a backup, and the Phillies have three catchers ahead of him on the depth chart. It's hard to imagine the Phillies putting him on the active roster for 90 days. Mar. 30 - 10:02 pm et

link

Garcia thinks he being brought back slowly? Seems to me like he is coming back a week too soon! Back after only building himself back up to 65 pitches? That's good for about a 4 - 5 inning start. He and the Phillies will say that puts him on a path for 85 pitches in his first major league start. That is still a little slow and an unproven projection. Let him prove it in rehab first.
We now know that Amaro really is running the Phillies. He and Monty seem to have ignored the committee.
allentown
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Laexile » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:21 pm

From Phillies.com

Lieber threw 42 pitches in three innings in an extended Spring Training game, and will pitch again on Friday. He could join the team for the Mets series.

Zack Segovia will start Sunday.

Garcia will throw for 45 pitches on Thursday in an extended Spring Training game.

Coste will start playing in games in Clearwater on Saturday.
Laexile
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Laexile » Tue May 15, 2007 10:27 am

Tom Gordon was discharged from the Hospital with upper respiratory infection. When Gordon will pitch again is TBD.

Ryan Madson may be activated May 22. He'll make minor-league rehab appearances this weekend.

Ryan Howard is taking batting practice but not running or fielding.
Laexile
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby BassGuiFloyd » Tue May 15, 2007 12:27 pm

Nice! Here's an update on Mathieson too.
On Saturday, righthander Scott Mathieson threw 20 pitches off the mound for the first time since undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in September. He emerged fine and will throw again Wednesday

link
BassGuiFloyd
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby Wizlah » Wed May 16, 2007 8:42 am

The Two Ryans:

Reliever Ryan Madson (strained oblique) is scheduled to make rehab appearances for Double A Reading on Friday (1 inning) and Sunday (2 innings). If he doesn't have a setback, he could be ready to rejoin the team when it begins its next road trip at Florida next Tuesday.

First baseman Ryan Howard (left quadriceps strain) will not make the Florida-Atlanta trip. He'll remain in Philadelphia to work with former Phillies trainer Jeff Cooper, who retired at the end of last season. He's been hired by the team as a consultant.

Good to see that they're paying serious attention to Howard's injury now.
---
Wizlah
Space Cadet
Space Cadet

Postby kenrosenthal » Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 pm

''I don't know what was harder - that (Phillies lineup) or the All-Star team lineup,'' Haren said.
kenrosenthal
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby BassGuiFloyd » Thu May 17, 2007 9:06 am

POTENTIAL COMEBACK DATES
Ryan Madson - Tuesday, May 22nd (rehabs on May 18th and May 20th)
Ryan Howard - Friday, May 25th (rehabs on May 23rd and May 24th)
Tom Gordon - N/A, my guess is first week of June (begins conditioning program next week, no time table yet on rehabs or comeback dates)
Scott Mathieson - end of July or early August
BassGuiFloyd
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby kenrosenthal » Sat May 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Ryan Howard, on the DL with a left quadriceps strain, will be used as a DH at single-A Lakewood on Wednesday and Thursday. He is eligible to come off the DL on Friday

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... itive.html
''I don't know what was harder - that (Phillies lineup) or the All-Star team lineup,'' Haren said.
kenrosenthal
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby kenrosenthal » Sat May 19, 2007 1:56 pm

Madson pitched a perfect inning last night, striking out two.
kenrosenthal
Dropped Anchor
Dropped Anchor

Postby BassGuiFloyd » Tue May 29, 2007 11:22 am

GORDON
Tom Gordon (shoulder) has been cleared by doctors to begin a throwing program on Tuesday.

Gordon has been out since May 2 when he strained his rotator cuff. He will need a few weeks of throwing before he will be ready to return.

rotoworld

MYERS
Brett Myers said his rehab from a sore right shoulder is moving along better than he expected. On Monday he did some stretching exercises and was told by doctors that what was first believed to be a second-degree strain is only a first-degree strain. He can come off the 15-day disabled list on June 8th when the Phillies are scheduled to play in Kansas City

link

I also heard a rumor about Drabek having some sort of elbow injury. I'm hoping that's false. Has anyone heard anything?
BassGuiFloyd
There's Our Old Friend
There's Our Old Friend

Postby swishnicholson » Tue May 29, 2007 12:34 pm

Myers, on what his MRI looked like, per Zolecki:

"I don’t even know. It looked like a shoulder with a bunch of things on it."
Flanders feeds me people food.
swishnicholson
BSG MVP
BSG MVP

PreviousNext

Return to Back She Goes!